Recent content by DarkNova

1. DarkNova

Standpipe used for HRV condensate getting clogged

Hello, I have a standpipe in my basement which has a HRV and 2 minisplits draining condensate water into. So theoretically it should just be basically distilled condensate water going into the standpipe, and just dripping slowly down into it. The condensate tubing lines are only inserted a...
  2. DarkNova

Plumber wants to run vent stack out gable end of attic wall

I checked the local code and it requires that if it is vented through a wall it actually has to terminate downward, so that seems to solve the problem of freezing water inside it. Does terminating downward reduce vent function? Otherwise the vent needs to be located a certain distance from...
  3. DarkNova

Plumber wants to run vent stack out gable end of attic wall

My plumber wants to run the vent stack out the gable end of the attic wall. I'm assuming (but I have yet to ask) that it would run out and then vertically to clear the roof. The main advantage is eliminating a roof penetration which can be problematic with heavy snow pressure. I have been...
  4. DarkNova

Shower faucet -- Degrees of rotation?

I'm shopping for shower faucets and have narrowed it down to Delta, Moen and Kohler. I've used a shower faucet before that had a very small amount of rotation for adjusting temperature. This was a Delta faucet with a separate temperature and volume control lever. The temperature lever could...
  5. DarkNova

Cleaning pipe from house to well?

Interesting...that makes sense to me. Do you know if there would be a different type of pump with different impellers that wouldn't churn so much and cause the iron to precipitate?
  6. DarkNova

Yes, I have a pitless. I agree about doing it with 2" if I were to do it all over again, unfortunately that would be pretty difficult to do at this stage. And yes, the pipe immediately connected to the pump was also filled with iron. It is 1" PVC and the walls inside were coated so much that the...
  7. DarkNova

Do you know of any way to not precipitate it in the well? It seems like it is just naturally down there. I have a backwashing calcite filter in my house which removes most of the iron, but the problem was plugging up the pipes between the pump and the filter. If I could get the iron to the...
  8. DarkNova

Well, they were able to use a snake to get a lot of the gunk out of the pipe, and then flushed it several times. There was a lot of iron in there. It about doubled the amount of flow. They weren't really sure what could be done to prevent this from happening in the future. Does anyone else have...
  9. DarkNova

My well (42' drilled, 6" pipe) has been getting slower the past few months so I had a well company come look at it. The well is about 18 years old and the water would initially come out quickly but after about 5 gallons comes out it would slow down to about 2.5 GPM. They replaced the pressure...
  10. DarkNova

Cartridge faucet still dripping from spout after cartridge has been replaced?

I should clarify and make sure its understood that the faucet leaked in the same way with the old cartridge. I replaced the cartridge because I thought it was worn but it has the same issue with the new one, which is why I am wondering if it is the faucet body. The replacement cartridge looks...
  11. DarkNova

Cartridge faucet still dripping from spout after cartridge has been replaced?

I have a 2 handled cartridge faucet that had been dripping from the spout, about one drip every 10 seconds maybe. The drips coming out were hot so I bought a new cartridge for the hot side, covered it with silicone grease, and replaced it. The faucet still dripped. I then tried taking the...
  12. DarkNova

Fire Pit on top of Septic Field?

Yes, I meant that the pit would be on top of the seepage field, definitely no where near the septic tank itself. Thanks.
  13. DarkNova

Fire Pit on top of Septic Field?

We're looking at building a fairly small (~ 2 ft inside diameter) brick fire pit in our backyard. The ideal place would be the corner of the yard that happens to have the septic field under it. Would this be a problem? The 2 issues I can think of are the weight and the heat, but I am under the...
  14. DarkNova

Iron in water after softener regerates

Gary, Thanks for responding. I put in 1 cup of iron-out each month directly in the brine tank -- that is what the original owner told me to do. I do not know how much iron is in my raw water, the only measurement I have is that I used a "PurTest Water Hardness strip" to test the raw water and...
  15. DarkNova

Iron in water after softener regerates

Hello, Our house has well water with a low amount of soluble (clear water) iron. I put a little iron-out in the water softener and it seems to take care of the iron problem. However, the morning after the softener regenerates, when I run the water out of the tap, it will all of a sudden turn...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks