Recent content by danimal96

1. danimal96

Greensand Filter - Frequent Clogging

Hi all - I finally have my test results back from a local water lab: TDS: 410 mg/l pH: 6.6 Hardness: 31 gpg Iron: .935 mg/l Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0 Copper: .055 mg/l Lead: .004 mg/l Sulfate: 110 mg/l Manganese: .380 mg/l Iron Bacteria: "Detected" (no level provided) Well Information (provided...
  2. danimal96

I'm lining up appointments with a few local WQA-listed installers. I will get the full water test to cover iron bacteria levels and will post the results here once I have them. I do plan on getting rid of the greensand filter, and either go with a softener-only solution or softener +...
  3. danimal96

This might be a rhetorical question, but if shock chlorination is bad for your well & won't solve iron bacteria issues - then why has it been suggested by more than one company, including one which has is certified by WQA? Based on the amount of gunk it has flushed out of my system the 3x I've...
  4. danimal96

The greensand filter sits after the pressure tank and before the softener. Inadequate flow rate was mentioned as a possible cause of the frequent clogging. I've about had it with the greensand filter - due to frequent service calls and the expensive media ($30+ for a canister of Potassium...
  5. danimal96

Thanks to all for the replies! I was told by several installers that chlorine injection systems are not a good idea - partly due to cost & upkeep, but also because they do nothing to treat iron bacteria problems in the well/pressure tanks/lines. They recommended periodic shock chlorination...
  6. danimal96

Thanks very much for the reply. I don't think the iron bacteria problem is too bad, and is being kept under control by shock chlorination. I don't notice a slime buildup in the toilets unless we go a number of weeks w/o cleaning, and the water quality seems very good when all my equipment is...
  7. danimal96

I have a greensand iron filter with an Autotrol 255 valve. The greensand filter sits between a well pressure tank and a water softener. It's being used to treat well water with an iron level of 3 PPM, and problems with iron bacteria. I had it installed 3 years ago, after running into problems...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks