Recent content by danielrhall

1. danielrhall

Is my submersible pump nearly finished?

Cary, thanks for the reply and the response to my email. I haven't had a chance to respond to the email yet, but I will add a little info here. The problem wasn't with the tank but with the water pressure gauge. It was actually a brand new gauge but it was reading 10 PSI too low. That made...
  2. danielrhall

I sent much of the following directly to Cary at CSV but would value responses from others. And I apologize in advance for the length, but I want to supply all possible relevant information. So I know I have to replace my submersible pump and would like to take the opportunity to make some...
  3. danielrhall

It is 240V and 2-wire. I have the current draw measurements. Each of the two wires measures pretty much the same. When the pump starts, AC current is just under 20A and drops to just under 16A by the time cut-off pressure is reached. Yikes! I'm on borrowed time with that pump.
  4. danielrhall

You got the black poly pipe right! Help me understand how the bad spot in a wire is causing the pump to thermally overload. Do you mean a nick in the insulation causing a current leak to ground, or a high-resistance section in the wire? I'm measuring 3.8M Ohms from each wire to ground...
  5. danielrhall

I didn't mean to imply that the pump cycles constantly with our normal interior use. With our two adult household, I don't think the pump cycles excessively. But when watering the way I have been, it definitely does. I've learned a lot in the last day, but I did already know this: something...
  6. danielrhall

I found the receipt for the pump. The invoice says "5GS05" which seems to be a Goulds 5 GPM submersible. Since it's a 2-wire pump, based on their literature, it is likely a 5GS05422 which is a Goulds GS Stainless Steel Series, 4", 2 Wire, 5GPM, 1/2HP, 230V. Bought on 05/24/04 from a local...
  7. danielrhall

Okay, I've got some measurements. The resistance from each pump load wire to ground is about 3.8M Ohms. The resistance across the load wires is about 6 Ohms when the pump is "online" and from 7M Ohms rising to 10M Ohms when the pump has seemingly tripped its thermal protection switch...
  8. danielrhall

Thanks all for all the helpful and informative responses! ballvalve, an overheat switch tripping within the pump sounds logical. As I mentioned, the pump stays on for a shorter time and off for a longer time when there’s more demand, so it makes sense. I don’t know what the motor specs...
  9. danielrhall

I need some help and advice with troubleshooting a water supply problem. Background: approximately 270 foot drilled well. Submersible pump replaced about eight years ago. Original pump was about 25 years old. We have a standard submersible well pump system including new pressure switch...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks