Recent content by cycloxer

1. cycloxer

GE (Rheem) or State 40 gal short gas - which one?

Yes, the new one has a separate hex style anode rod towards the back of the unit. I'll check it after a year. If I notice unusually high wear I will add a second one. That's a good idea.
  2. cycloxer

My water hardness is about 8 (primarily from manganese). I installed a softener on the system (1mo ago) as well as a sediment filter (2 yrs ago). My recharge rate is about once a week as we don't use too much water in the household. I also flushed all of the lines as best I could after this...
  3. cycloxer

I installed the GE (Rheem) 9yr unit PG40S09AVJ00 last evening. It seems like it is a well built unit. It certainly appears to work less than my 19yo Bradford White of course, in fairness, I think the BW had a fair amount of sediment built up in there and the tank was rusting out at the top...
  4. cycloxer

Okay I will go with the GE/Rheem. It is an easy swap. I'd prefer to get an Energy Star model, but the re-routing required doesn't seem worth the effort. Also, when you compare the actual annual operating costs, there doesn't seem to be any difference between a .59 and .62 efficiency unit. They...
  5. cycloxer

Okay well the GE (Rheem) 9yr unit that fits my application is the PG40S09AVJ00 available at HD. I have read a few positive reviews of this unit. If I install this unit correctly and properly maintain it, will I get 10+ years of service? FWIW, it is $40 more than the State Select 6yr unit I am...
  6. cycloxer

Okay that is good to know. My local supply house has a State Select 40 gallon short style tank for a very reasonable price. It does appear to be a well built unit with brass valves. It is only the 6 year warranty, but I take very good care of my equipment and I will be flushing it and checking...
  7. cycloxer

I'd get another Bradford White if I could find a supply house who would sell me one. I am not too concerned with the warranty, rather I am looking to buy the highest quality unit I can at a reasonable price. I will be installing the unit myself. So one says GE/Rheem and the other says State =...
  8. cycloxer

I need a new gas water heater as my 19yo Bradford White has developed a tank leak. I am considering a GE with a 9 year warranty from HD or a State Select with a 6 year warranty from a local plumbing supply house. They are both 40 gallon, short style, gas heaters. They are priced within $40 of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks