Recent content by CTho

1. C

Expansion tank on ceiling?

Would it be a bad idea to install an expansion tank between two joists in the unfinished basement ceiling? That would keep it out of the way, make it very easy to support, and allow an extremely short dead leg since I could tee right off the existing cold pipe. The only problems I see are that...
  2. C

Water heater flame color

I am not a plumber and I’m not qualified to give safety advice. I don’t know the answer to your flame color question. However, that appears to be a natural draft water heater model. They have an open gap between the top of the heater and the bottom of the exhaust duct (flue). Is that what...
  3. C

Heat trap on new Rheem hybrid water heater

My new Rheem hybrid looks like this, so maybe they have finally fixed the galvanic isolation / corrosion prevention, at least on the hot. I can’t see the cold without removing the automatic shutoff valve, which transitions to brass.
  4. C

“Properly grounded” - GFCI “no equipment ground”?

Sorry, to clarify, it would be a gas tankless (probably a Rinnai RU160iN or RU180iN), so the electricity is just for relatively low-power things (electronics, flame starter, blower...). I looked through a few Rinnai, Noritz, and Vesta installation manuals and they say things like “A standard...
  5. C

“Properly grounded” - GFCI “no equipment ground”?

Hi, I’d like to switch to a tankless water heater to recover a closet in my (small, limited-storage, old) house, and I’ll need to have an electrical outlet added. Unfortunately the existing house wiring has no grounds, so GFCI receptacles provide 3-prong outlets where necessary. Would that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks