Recent content by Chucknewell

1. Chucknewell

Using hot water in kitchen causes 'hum'

Does it produce the hum at all flow rates or only full on?
  2. Chucknewell

Trouble Soldering

I too had this trouble recently. :mad: I blamed it on the flux. I bought some flux at a local hardware store; it was a water soluble type (not Nokorode brand). I discovered if I overheated it, it would burn and prevent solder flow. Mapp gas is hot, it's what I use too, but it's easy to...
  3. Chucknewell

Gravity-Flow hot water recirc.

Nipples are already installed. Thanks any way. I broke down and bought a solenoid valve today. Job done. Chuck
  4. Chucknewell

It's not supposed to be a gravity flow system. I'm in San Diego where energy costs are quite high and I don't want the water heater to cycle unnecessarily. Also, the controls for the pump are three parts: Timer, Open on temperature rise t-stat, and a close on temperature rise t-stat. The...
  5. Chucknewell

Need To Replace Gas Hot Water Heater

One thing not mentioned yet. . . Make sure you leak check the Gas connections! Also you mentioned you were going from a 40 gal. to a 50 gal. Chances ar the new one will be a little taller, so you'll need a shorter vent. I'd also recommend having Lowes deliver it into the basement since...
  6. Chucknewell

Manufacturer. . . Gary, Thanks for your input, I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately this is a "home brew" system. Since I designed it I'll have to fix it. I know I could put a solenoid valve on the return line to stop the flow, but I'd rather do it passively to keep the system simple...
  7. Chucknewell

Recently did a kitchen remodel and while the walls were open I piped in a hot water recirculation system. It's 3/4" out of the water heater and into the attic. About half way to the kitchen it branches to the bathrooms (capped, not connected yet) and is reduced to 1/2" for the remaining 20' or...
  8. Chucknewell

PEX & Rodents - Copper & Corrosion

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the feedback! :)
  9. Chucknewell

Rubber 90 for connection of pressure line

Have a Look here. https://www.fernco.com/
  10. Chucknewell

PEX & Rodents - Copper & Corrosion

I asked a local plumber, here in California, about using PEX (yea, I know it's not approved for use here. Politics.). He said the problem with PEX is thirsty rodents (he said rats) gnaw through it to get to the water causing leaks. Copper seems to have corrosion problems here. Many houses...
  11. Chucknewell

Using PVC for Hot Water Drain

Inspector Yup, the inspector would not approve it! It's the old "letter of the law / spirit of the law" controversy. The Johnson Tee was tested, approved, and carries the UPC symbol. However, the code states that a "listed" air-gap must be installed. The Johnson Tee was the only thing the...
  12. Chucknewell

Copper pipe - pinhole leaks and green spots

Electricity and corrosion Master Plumber Mark- I think your theory is right on, for that particular case of hot water heaters as well as some of the corrosion in copper pipes. Here's a link with a lot of info on corrosion. http://www.xs4all.nl/~cdewaard/ As you'll see in many...
  13. Chucknewell

Johnson Tee Photos Here's some photos of the Johnson Tee. It is an air-gap that replaces the counter-top air gap. The horizontal pipe goes through an exterior wall with the trim piece installed outside.
  14. Chucknewell

What is the concensses for using PVC for the drain line of a dishwasher? I know it can't be used for hot water distribution but it is used for drain lines. I installed a Johnson Tee in the wall of my kitchen instead of a counter top air-gap and plumbed it with PVC, see photo. Afterward I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks