Recent content by Chuck Shaughnessy

1. Chuck Shaughnessy

Preferred piping for direct-bury water line to Greenhouse

I will be running a water line from an existing line at a frost-free hydrant to a new greenhouse. There are SO MANY new options for type of piping - PVC, flexible PVC, PE, PEX ... and on and on. Can someone recommend thoughts on best piping to use for this? Probably 3/4 inch but perhaps 1...
  2. Chuck Shaughnessy

Need recommendation: Underground splice kit, 2 AWG, aluminum wire

Can anyone recommend the best underground splice it - for 2 AWG aluminum wire. I want a really good one so I don't have to do this again!
  3. Chuck Shaughnessy

Voltage loss in underground cable.. FOUND IT!!!

FOUND IT!! Just outside the barn is a water hydrant and a lot of rocks. The wires are underground very close to the hydrant and I have had to dig near there in the past replacing hydrant parts. I have never noted a nick in the electrical wire, but I thought I would dig it up and see if it...
  4. Chuck Shaughnessy

There is no conduit, and it is direct bury aluminum cable. I can try to read the markings tomorrow and see what is there, but it was done by a licensed electrician and permitted and inspected so I am guessing its fine. I do think a current leak could explain it. If there is some impedance in...
  5. Chuck Shaughnessy

The source is a main breaker box at the house and the two hot wires come out of a 100A breaker and ...yes, at the source they are 240V. Today I disconnected the line from the box just to ensure that there wasn't a low impedance path to ground in the box and ... no change in the 5V. I suspect...
  6. Chuck Shaughnessy

At the other end it is 120V. There is no splice - at least no an intentional one. Perhaps a rock has pierced the sheathing and created a current leak and/or corrosion - but, no idea where.
  7. Chuck Shaughnessy

Back from travel. Picture attached this time. The wire seems to be aluminum but appropriately coated with the anti-oxidant goop. I have moved all of the breakers onto one side of the line so there is an effective 120V that is working fine. The other side is not loaded and measures 5V...
  8. Chuck Shaughnessy

The wire may be aluminum, I am not certain. I will have to check when I am back home. It may be that there was no anti-oxidation stuff put on the wire lug and there is some oxidation in there causing an impedance problem. Definitely something to check on.
  9. Chuck Shaughnessy

I am traveling until Thursday but will post some pictures when I return. Definitely measuring from the buss lug and not on the other side of the breaker. I did remove the cover and it would be cleaned up in there a bit - some bugs and stuff - but I think I got that stuff out of the way in the...
  10. Chuck Shaughnessy

Nope - I get it all. It went in about 15 years ago. No conduit. Direct buried cable. I don't think there are any underground splices - just a cable about 100 feet long. House breaker box has a 100 amp breaker - this feeds into a subpanel in the barn. One leg in the barn measures 120V...
  11. Chuck Shaughnessy

I have power going from my house to my barn (100 amp service). One leg is solid 120v. The other is roughly 5V. Measurements are without load on either leg. At the house end both are 120V. Can this be a connection, corrosion, or breaker problem or is it a problem in the cable below the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks