Recent content by Chris Redmond

1. Chris Redmond

HVAC fan on vs auto

Looking back on the airsealing I did to the top plates, I now wish I had taken the polyiso approach from the start. Since I had to use a long foam gun to seal the top plate, there is a large amount of foam on the top of each top plate right now. I erred on the side of overkill, since I couldn't...
  2. Chris Redmond

HVAC fan on vs auto

I've read some other posts on how poor fiberglass batts perform, and I'm guessing ours are on the lower end of even that low end of the spectrum. I had to pull up every batt when airsealing, and spent weeks shuffling them around up there resulting in some compression. I did my best to tape up...
  3. Chris Redmond

HVAC fan on vs auto

There is a fan setting on our furnace/air handler but it's part of the wiring schematic that I'm hesitant to change until I read more about how to do without damaging the unit. We may just wait until an upcoming annual inspection of our furnace to get the technician's guidance on how change to...
  4. Chris Redmond

HVAC fan on vs auto

Thanks Dana for this additional info on radiant barriers. I haven't read much on it before, so it's useful to understand the effect isn't as great as having something like cellulose in the attic, which is something we plan to do soon. We've got R19 fiberglass batt insulation up there now, and...
  5. Chris Redmond

HVAC fan on vs auto

Thanks Jim. Your recommendation for a furnace setting sounds interesting, let me see if I understand. If the blower has multiple speeds to choose from, and the ability to set different speeds for just the fan being on vs heating mode vs cooling mode, choose the lowest speed for the when just...
  6. Chris Redmond

HVAC fan on vs auto

Thanks Dana. Wow, that is a wealth of information there. I've already actually done quite a bit of airsealing and insulating of the attic, rim joist and cantilevered floor based on some of your other posts. That took some time to figure out but the instructions were incredibly helpful since I...
  7. Chris Redmond

HVAC fan on vs auto

Thanks Worth Florida. I did notice the wall stud cavity is used for the cold air return and the grill is at the floor level. We bought a Nest thermostat a few months ago, and so I'll have to see if it has some similar modes to what you describe in the Honeywell. Or maybe they have remote sensors...
  8. Chris Redmond

HVAC fan on vs auto

The second floor on our home is a hot spot that takes much longer to cool than our basement/first floor. May be partly explained by the furnace and blower being in the basement, and our AC unit is older. No duct work in the attic, but some run through exterior walls. We tried keeping the fan on...
  9. Chris Redmond

Drain stub out fitting and reversible p trap

I took a closer look at the home inspection and this is noted. The tone of your response makes me pretty concerned though. I get that it's wrong, but am still interested if anyone else agrees with how flagrantly wrong this is, or has any other thoughts. Thanks.
  10. Chris Redmond

Drain stub out fitting and reversible p trap

Hi all, Novice plumber here. I moved into a new home recently, and noticed a slight odor coming from the bathroom sink, so I looked underneath and see 3 j traps fitted together (pic attached). Not sure if this is the cause, but would like to correct anyway. It looks to me like the drain stub...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks