Recent content by Chessiec

1. Chessiec

"Standard" shower/tub valve repair or replace?

Okay! Chipped out the plaster last night, and with ample use of a rubber mallet, was finally able to get the escutcheon off. Then I realized why it had been so difficult. The escutcheon seems to have corroded onto the nut and threads farthest from the valve, so I was removing that nut and...
  2. Chessiec

Appreciate the responses. Sounds like you two think this set is functionally fine to keep, even if old. Do the escutcheons unscrew just lefty-loosey as usual? I can't seem to get them to budge.
  3. Chessiec

Need help with Alternate Method of pumping in two-well "pump & dump" systems?

I developed a 22-home subdivision with each home on its own geothermal heat pump. Finished in early 2000, with the build out of homes taking about a year and a half. These homes cost at or less than the average home price here in Durham, NC when sold, use less than 30% of the energy of other...
  4. Chessiec

I would really appreciate the opinion of the plumbers here on whether to repair or replace my "Standard" (American Standard?) shower/tub valve. It is dripping from the tub spout when turned off. I haven't been able to get the escutcheons off. They have either plumber's putty or plaster packed...
  5. Chessiec

Help: how to insulate an attic door

That sounds practical and do-able. I think I have my new plan. We might actually pare down all the stuff up there, too, due to moving it out to put in the new layer of 2 x 10s.
  6. Chessiec

Delta 2348 anywhere?

Talked to Delta service rep, who said the valve cartridges were no longer made for this faucet, that it was not ceramic, and that the stainless plate and rubber seat could be expected to last for 5-10 years. Wooh! Seems like a more durable solution would be better, eh?
  7. Chessiec

Delta 2348 anywhere?

Great! I have sent a pm with my contact info.
  8. Chessiec

I like all your recommendations. I agree with them. I am daunted by them. Daunting to think of removing everything in the attic into the house, ripping out all the flooring in the attic (3" strip subflooring, probably there since 1948), putting in new stairs, sealing all the boundaries and...
  9. Chessiec

Delta 2348 anywhere?

So in trying to figure out the best solution to replace an 8" spread, two handle tub shower faucet, I found some old ads on the web for the Delta 2348, which is a thermostatic valve with the two handles fitting right into the 8" spread of an old-style set up. There's a Danze that does the...
  10. Chessiec

Ideas for 2-handle tub diverter preserving tile?

Danz has a D500155 2 handle with vales that is pressure balanced. It is unusual in the the 2 valves, one for temperature and the other for flow volume, are set up horizontally with an 8" spread. For about $155, it also includes the valve body, But I don't think folks here thing much of Danze--is...
  11. Chessiec

HERE IT IS: But discontinued...And I don't think it will do for us. Exposed Thermostatic Shower Valve, 34 067 Views Left-click to view, right-click to download main dimensions exploded parts list Description -DISCONTINUED PRODUCT- Use as parts reference only Grip handles Paraffin cartridge...
  12. Chessiec

Looks great! But what is it? Jim, Grohe stuff always looks great to me. But....um...I'm not sure I know what that is and how it works.
  13. Chessiec

Chris, I appreciate what you are saying, but some of us really do need the storage space that the attic provides. If you were going to keep using it, what would you do?
  14. Chessiec

Plumber has said my 1948 home's tub/shower faucet and tub diverter spout are shot. We have great vintage tile that we don't want to replace, and the cover-up with ears to cover holes from our 8" spread faucet (at least what I've seen at the big box) and go to a single handle set up looks rather...
  15. Chessiec

LOL! Same as mine. Thanks for posting that picture: the unit is the same as mine! And I have been wondering the same thing, and even considering taking out the unit because of the insulation problems, even though it actually words extremely well. Please report back what solution you put in...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks