Recent content by Chel_in_IL

1. Chel_in_IL

Pinholes in copper vent pipe

12 years later and I’m searching the ‘net after I found a couple of pinholes in a vertical vent/drain pipe in the basement. I started reading this post and thought, “Wait, that sounds familiar...” (Yah duh because you wrote it.) Most everything plumbing related has been replaced in this house...
  2. Chel_in_IL

Stuck with how to frame this window out...

I have a split level home (like a raised ranch) and had an extremely rotted window on the lower level that needed replacement. I am working on a remodel project and decided to replace the two double hungs with a smaller single slider from the local Restore. The sill was rotted so it was a...
  3. Chel_in_IL

Shower handle sticking out too far

BTW, it's not directly copper to galvanized. The rest of the house is galvanized, and the shower valve is in between the two metals. From what I've read online, this is acceptable (but correct me if I am wrong.)
  4. Chel_in_IL

Talk to the fiance...
  5. Chel_in_IL

Proper way to finish basement walls

Well, I decided to take down part of the stud wall that was already in the room, and found why it was so deep. (The wall had drywall and plywood screwed to it, and was not finished.) It looks like the wall was made out of scrap from an old deck... There was a 2x6 used as a footer, and various...
  6. Chel_in_IL

Proper way to finish basement walls

My home is about 40 years old - it's a small bi-level with a 3/4 finished lower level. I noticed while in a crawl space under the foyer that the walls are spaced out from the foundation about 1-1/2". I thought at first they did this to create a ledge under the windows and maybe for ease of...
  7. Chel_in_IL

Wow.. that looks bad! I completely remodeled my bathroom all the way down to the studs. I also have a Moen faucet, a bit different "style" than yours, but I bet you the guts are still the same. When we put the new valve in, we put into place the fiberglass surround and removed it several times...
  8. Chel_in_IL

flooring under vanity

When I remodeled my bathroom, I went with ceramic. It's a small bath (9x5), and it cost me about $350 material/labor to have a tile floor put in. (I put in the underlayment, and I paid a guy to lay the tile.) For $125 for labor I figured it was worth having someone who knew what they were doing...
  9. Chel_in_IL

Bye Bye Thomas Edison!

I've always hated CFLs. But, I gave in and bought eight 100-watt equivalent lights and used them in my utility room, outside porch light, and a couple of lights in my living room. I had an LED flood in the porch light, which worked fine for the past 6 months but then most of the LEDs stopped...
  10. Chel_in_IL

The "Messed-Up Plumbing" thread

The poorly-plumbed water softener Almost 3 years ago, I purchased an "as-is" house that was a foreclosure. It had sat empty for about a year before going on the market. There was a water softener already in the house, but the bank's realtor said that there was no guarantee that it worked. It...
  11. Chel_in_IL

The "Messed-Up Plumbing" thread

Thought it might be humorous and entertaining to have a thread to submit messed-up plumbing photos...
  12. Chel_in_IL

Washer drain by handyman

I think the guy who used to own my house did that work... ;) BTW, are there any websites where people post pictures of interesting home repair work such as this? Or, is there a thread on this site appropriate for these little pieces of humor? I have a few of my own I'd like to submit. :)
  13. Chel_in_IL

kitchen faucet

My God.. changing a faucet isn't brain surgery. It's one of the first home-improvement jobs I ever did, before I was even able to drive!! (Surprised my mom to say the least..) PlumbyDumby, I hope your repair job went well. Sometimes people are too timid to tear things apart, and once they...
  14. Chel_in_IL

Toilet Splash on Elongated Bowl

...I've never experienced the "splash" on any toilet I've used... sounds pretty nasty. I hate the toilets you find at stores/restaurants with the sensors that flush automatically. Seems you have to retain an upright pose otherwise you get a douche. :mad: Michelle in Northern IL
  15. Chel_in_IL

Kitchen remodel - venting

Ok... you said "on one sink." In my plan, I will have a dishwasher and a sink side by side, which will be in the area of the cabinetry where there is no wall to run a vent out of. Would an AAV be ok in that situation, or is it asking for trouble? I'm not set in my kitchen design - it's still...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks