Recent content by Charles2

1. Charles2

Can toilet parts smell?

I've gathered a few more details: The plumbers visited twice. First for the rebuild, then a second time to replace the new flapper which was hanging up. Girlfriend says there was no smell after the first visit! The smell only started after the second visit. Although the top of the flapper is...
  2. Charles2

Can toilet parts smell?

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately neither of us observed whether the tank was removed. But I can tell you that the tank is now, and was before the rebuild, right up against the wall.
  3. Charles2

Can toilet parts smell?

An experienced, professional plumber recently rebuilt my girlfriend's toilet tank with I guess mostly Fluidmaster parts. Fill valve, flush valve, flapper and foam flapper float. Now the bathroom has kind of a mildew smell. She's already filled the tub and lav traps to be sure they aren't dry.
  4. Charles2

Mansfield #160 tank

Yeah, I know. According to, You know you have it in right when the gasket rotates freely. But it still leaks.
  5. Charles2

Mansfield #160 tank

Hey Terry, thanks for your reply. I don't think I described the problem very well. The toilet was running continuously and was a fill valve issue that I corrected by bending the float arm. But recently it began to run intermittently, so I gave your flush valve seal replacement a try...
  6. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

Oops, that 7000 btuh unit is a multisplit.
  7. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

Looks like Ruud offers the same without even changing the model numbers, and they also offer a 7000 btu/h unit: https://s3.amazonaws.com/WebPartners/ProductDocuments/837D1821-DE60-4A5E-8C0A-E68EF169E225.pdf
  8. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

Dana, see https://s3.amazonaws.com/WebPartners/ProductDocuments/C8DBACD7-A753-4814-A902-F4E0277B4EC0.pdf . The Fujitsu 9RLFCD we've been discussing and the Rheem RIDH09AVFJ have identical dimensions. Rheem does say, however, that "Unit can be placed horizontally or vertically. However, internal...
  9. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

2 questions about the SEER of VRF/inverter systems: 1. Why can the ductless systems achieve 50% better SEER than the ducted systems? Is it simply a matter of leaky ducts in unconditioned space, or is there another reason? 2. Why does SEER decrease as system size increases? I would have...
  10. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

As I stated before, my goal is to choose the equipment and installer so carefully that spare parts and warranty issues are irrelevant.:D Why balancing vanes rather than dampers? All available in upflow? If I recall correctly, you said that none of the compact ducted Misubishis are available...
  11. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

Alright, suppose I go with the 1/2 ton Mitsubishi for the garage bedroom. That leaves 8,620 btuh of heating and 7,709 btuh of cooling for the other 2 bedrooms to be covered by a Fujitsu 9RLFCD or a 3/4 ton Carrier/Midea. Which do you prefer? BTW, the Fujitsu NEEP page you linked describes the...
  12. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

Years ago I did a full manual D calculation for a well-insulated house on a slab with a 1.5 ton standard central heat pump. The room with the lowest load had a duct size of 7", so my calculations must have been WAY off. It's a decent choice for heating, but is it a bad choice for humidity...
  13. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

Seems to me that the longer a filter goes unchanged, the better it filters. What is the depth of the filter in your Berkeley photo? As I stated last month, the current system does run on R22. Seems like somebody would have invented a good cleaning system by now. When R410A is outlawed, will the...
  14. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

In your photo it doesn't look more than 30" wide, but I'll take your word for it. Fortunately it would fit very well downstairs in the kitchen against an exterior wall. Do you suppose it's the sort of thing that contractors around here have ever done? If not, do I really want to be the first...
  15. Charles2

Daikin Quaternity

I guess one good reason for that requirement is to keep water pipes from freezing when the house is unoccupied. I'm confused. What is the width and depth of the system shown in the Berkeley photos you posted? According to the BBNW tool, the ground floor has a heating load of 8,752 btuh and a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks