Recent content by capecod

1. capecod

Old house, 100A fusebox, should we replace w. breakers?

I sure appreciate all this information, and I now agree with you all and my husband, the fuse box will stay. We have plenty of fuses and managed to find a replacement for the big main knife fuse, used but in perfect shape, from a local electrician. Thank you! Jane
  2. capecod

Rust in well water, filter needed, thinking D.E.

We put in a small aquapure filter, whole house, and our water now is crystal clear. http://www.aquapurefilters.com/store/product/200028.200020/ap110.html Its too dark for me to take a picture with my iPhone, but here is the site that is the correct company. You need to change the cartridges...
  3. capecod

Lights flicker and things shut off randomly :(

ENOUGH, am not angry or upset, nor do I appreciate anger, Im just stating the facts that I observed. Bye
  4. capecod

Not the bulbs? No problem with anything else, is our power that bad? Ive got classmates in Canada and other places in USA who complain about these bulbs too. I bought 2 and they both failed, so I wont buy any more. Im not crazy about stuff built in China,,,,,,
  5. capecod

I dont have the picture that one neighbour sent any more, it had a big black spot on the base of the bulb casing and it actually was sparking and had a tiny flame. Not in the picture, as he took it afterwards + emailed it to me. The other neighbour had not put the spiral in the lamp so that...
  6. capecod

About the spiral light bulbs, be very careful of them, as we had 2, and they BOTH got dimmer and dimmer over a day or so. They began to glow with a dark orange, and I smelled something hot. I turned one off, and went to unscrew it and found it was extremely hot! I took it out with a pot holder...
  7. capecod

Sounds like a grounding problem, though I certainly am not versed in such things, I think that you need a qualified electrician to come in and test everything to isolate the problem. Also look for a failed appliance, we live in salt air environment, and we had a fridge in the cellar which was...
  8. capecod

Recycle old plumbing fixtures

We have a freecycle site here, I think they are all over USA. And you can give away a lot of decent stuff. We gave away a lot of old computers that the schools didnt want, and other stuff like skis and boating stuff. I would seriously think that plumbing stuff would be wanted too, as there is...
  9. capecod

CFL Bulbs that really last for 5 Years

I wish I had not thrown my CFL bulbs away, as they light up when you give them a blast of static electricity. I havent seen this yet, but my 5th grade grandson might use this for one of his science projects. They've got an old VanDeGraaff generator from an old science project that they might...
  10. capecod

I think you have it down pat, town trying to save money, buying cheap stuff which did not last. I cant see the bulbs, but I guess I could try to find out who made them. And also they do have the light sensor, they come on at dusk and shut off at daybreak. (One of those sensors fell out of a...
  11. capecod

I am sick of these stupid replacement bulbs, but I certainly have read all your input on them. I will stick with the old bulbs until I find safe and good replacements. Interesting to know that the new streetlight bulbs in our area, ALL failed! Every single one! Yeah, they actually took out...
  12. capecod

Done that too, but didnt want to be the first to say it.
  13. capecod

We too used to use burned out bulbs for targets. They would float and bob around in the ocean and they were hard to hit, but tons of fun.
  14. capecod

Gee, thats interesting, as we have some bulbs which have lasted for so long that they get dirty from dust. I forget to dust them when Im doing housework, and if our wood stove is being used a lot the livingroom bulbs do get that fine gray dust on them. From what Ive observed, the CFL bulbs...
  15. capecod

This is also very interesting, as we dont leave lights on when we leave a room. So we turn them on and off lots more than many other people do. We live in an area with almost no light pollution, so our eyes are not wanting bright rooms. Maybe that is a problem too. Thanks for letting us know...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks