Recent content by BS

1. BS

Skinny Deep Junction Box

Hello. We're replacing our wall oven and need to relocate the junction box to accommodate the new unit. The existing supply line (#8-3 with #10 ground) will barely reach the new location and the box needs to be recessed in the wall. I won't have access to the wall until the installer comes...
  2. BS

Cooktop Igniter Clicks when Light is Switched

That's a lot of interesting information. I appreciate all your input. Let me address some of your questions and comments. The clicking happens when all the burner controls are OFF. Just a few minutes ago I was able to get it to happen three times over the course of turning the light on...
  3. BS

Thanks for all the replies. The cooktop is Bosch model NGM5064UC/03. The vent hood is Bosch DHL755BUC/02 and uses two halogen bulbs. I called Bosch and all they said was they had never heard of this problem before and that there must be "grounding" issues. When my wife brought the problem...
  4. BS

As part of a kitchen remodel a year ago I dedicated a 20 amp, 120 volt branch circuit for the sole use of the gas cooktop and the vent hood above it. Each of these appliances is plug-and-cord connected to its own duplex outlet and there is no lighting or other load on the circuit (12/2 with...
  5. BS

Tank Tee Leak

I have a Well-X-Trol WX-202 pressure tank for my well water system that probably is as old as the house: 13 years. Pressure-wise, it is working well. A few weeks ago I replaced the tank tee because the outlet of the old one had developed a crack and was leaking. I used Rectorseal 5 pipe...
  6. BS

Order of Bathroom Remodel/Rebuild?

Insulate that tub! Ironspider -- I had the same question about insulating a bathtub in my previous house almost two years ago. I decided to insulate by stuffing insulation around the tub and am glad I did. It helped retain heat and deaden sound. See this thread for details...
  7. BS

Filter Installation

As I get ready to do this (see post #1), I have a couple more questions: 1. It doesn't appear that I can isolate the pipe between the pressure tank and the softener before I cut into it. I can close a ball valve at the pressure tank, but there are no downstream valves in the pipes before...
  8. BS

Filter Installation

Our raw well water has a hydrogen sulfide taste and odor problem. A point-of-use charcoal filter at the kitchen tap has solved the problem there. Our neighbor has solved the same problem with two whole house charcoal filters and we want to do the same. This weekend I'm planning to install...
  9. BS

Water Treatment Questions

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected about the cause of the slippery feeling. Somewhere I had read (or thought I had read) that hard water creates the slippery feeling, not soft water. That's very interesting about blending the well water with the softened water; I'll have to look into...
  10. BS

Need to buy acrylic tub surround

Try Swanstone, but I don't think it's acrylic. It comes as individual panels that you glue to the walls. - Bernie
  11. BS

Water Treatment Questions

We just moved from New England where we had a well that produced outstanding quality water; the only treatment was a sediment filter. The well in our new Ohio home is over 100' deep and the only treatment is a water softener which is about half-full of salt and appears to be functioning, though...
  12. BS

House Hunting Electrical Questions

My wife and I are house hunting in another state and have found a 9-year old house we like very much. But yellow flags have gone up on two electrical situations. Of course, if we decide to bid on this house we'll have an inspector check these out, but I'd like to get your opinions before we...
  13. BS

Repair Fitting for ABS Pipe

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think cemented joints could be taken apart, but HJ says there's more than one way to do it. And Markts30's suggestion of cutting the coupling must be one of these ways. What are the others? Back to Markts30's suggestion: Once I remove the coupling, what...
  14. BS

Repair Fitting for ABS Pipe

I just installed a base for a replacement shower and connected the drain to the existing ABS pipe stub coming up from the trap with a cemented coupling. There's a tiny leak from the bottom of this coupling. There's precious little room available on the stub for cutting out the coupling and...
  15. BS

Chrome Sleeve for Angle Valve Flange?

Thanks, Eric. I should have mentioned I have one of those hinged escutcheons. It just occurred to me that I used the wrong term. (My apologies. That's what I get for trying to squeeze in a question to the forum after a long day!). What I'm actually referring to is the 4 to 5 inch long...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks