Recent content by Brenda_MD

1. Brenda_MD

Setting medium for shower pan

We had a fiberglass tub/shower unit like the one in this picture removed and are converting over to a shower only. My tile person highly recommended that the plumber set the shower pan using Structolite. From his experience, it provides a much more stable base under the shower pan without the...
  2. Brenda_MD

Does softened water always feel slippery when you shower?

The whole house filter the water goes through first is what seems to be removing a lot of the iron along with other debris grit. That filter is pure red when we change it every few months. We didn't think the <0.1 mg/l reading for iron was bad.
  3. Brenda_MD

Bannerman/Reach4, I wanted to get back to you both on the water softener issue I had, sorry it has taken this long. We made the adjustments you recommended for the water softener where afterward we could feel some difference in the water, but not super slippery. We had the water tested at an...
  4. Brenda_MD

Okay, will reset the salt to 6 lbs. and make the other adjustments you suggested. I am attaching a pic of the full tank, I don't think there is more than 1/3 of space above the fill line. However, it does sound like more resin may need to be added to get it to the fill line. I wish I knew...
  5. Brenda_MD

I finally got a response from the plumber on how much resin he put in the tank, which was not exactly helpful. He said he filled it to 1" below the full line which allows for the "fluff" that occurs during regeneration. So maybe this will help more. As noted previously, the size of the tank...
  6. Brenda_MD

Bannerman, thanks for the detailed reply. I have shared this with my husband and we will make the changes you suggested. Plan to get the water lab tested in the next week or so to get a full picture of the water condition.
  7. Brenda_MD

The tank to the right is our acid neutralizer. The size of the tank is 844 and the salt is at 12 lbs.
  8. Brenda_MD

Possibly the residue in the pipes is affecting the results. However, I do notice a marked improvement now with glassware washed in the dishwasher. I do not know how much resin was placed in the tank as it is not specifically noted on the invoice. For sure we have iron in our water, but do not...
  9. Brenda_MD

Thanks, however, we use bar soap, not body wash. This change out occurred about three weeks ago, too.
  10. Brenda_MD

I looked up the Hach 5B test you suggested and this appears to be what our plumber used. In his initial testing, it took 20 drops of the test solution to change the color of the liquid. After the redo of the tank ingredients, the color changed immediately with one drop. And, actually, I think...
  11. Brenda_MD

We have a softener system for our well water. I have not been happy with our water for years because there was always the mineral buildup around faucets, glasses spotted, etc. When we had a plumbing job done recently, I mentioned this to the plumber. He checked the water hardness and found it...
  12. Brenda_MD

Still have mineral buildup in toilets, what to do next?

We are in the process of redoing our bathrooms. Amazingly, my biggest problem is what toilet to purchase. Our current toilets are American Standard purchased back in the mid '80's when our house was built. We are on well water and have both an acid neutralizer and water softener. However, I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks