Recent content by brainbone

1. brainbone

Installing radiant floor heating under subfloor / hardwood floor.

Thank you for all the input. I would be doing the installation myself. The house was built in 1910. It has 3/4" pine plank sub-floor with 3/4" maple hardwood. Walls have had cellulose blown in at some point in the past (how well it was done, I don't know). Windows are new, replacement...
  2. brainbone

Installing radiant floor heating under subfloor / hardwood floor.

After removing all the old heating lines in our basement to make more headroom, the thought occurred to us that we may be able to remove the old cast iron radiators on the first floor, replacing them with in-floor heat. This would ideally gain both more usable floor space, and add add comfort...
  3. brainbone

Moving / resizing heating pipes

That's the way it was installed when I purchased the house. I added the 3/4 line to the 2 kick space heaters, and they seemed to work fine with that, but I always wondered if the 3/4 lines, each eventually feeding 3 large cast iron radiators, was large enough. The radiators do get hot though.
  4. brainbone

Moving / resizing heating pipes

I'm in the process (radiators are draining as I type this) of removing the larger, low hanging, huge, iron heating pipes from the basement, then relocating and replacing them (with copper?) to gain more headroom for a basement remodel. Right now, the feed from the boiler (Weil-mclain HE-5)...
  5. brainbone

Adding indirect water heater on older ('82) weil-mclain HE-5

Is this the correct type of tempering valve for this situation? Showing 150 gal. w/90 deg. rise for 1st hour at 200 deg. boiler water supply, 112,000 boiler BTU output (my boiler shows only 109 BTU output max). Any recommendations on zone valves?
  6. brainbone

jadnashua, nhmaster, Southern Man, hj; Thank you for your input. It seems unanimous that the HE-5 should be up to the task of both continuing to heat my home, while also providing hot water via an indirect water heater on a priority zone. A few more questions: - Any opinions on the Triangle...
  7. brainbone

Goals: We are remodeling the basement, and are looking to try to increase available space as much as possible, as cost effectively (cheap) as possible. Situation: We currently have a gas fired water heater that needs replacement for multiple reasons (age, clearance required around it for...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks