Recent content by BostonGuido

1. BostonGuido

Wellmate pressure tank - QC fitting

Pretty convincing - thanks, Reach4. So unless it's a silicone O-ring I should be good. And in my experience, silicone O-rings are milky colored, and this one is black, so pretty sure I'm good. Appreciate the assist.
  2. BostonGuido

My concern is the material of the oring and of the plastic fittings. Some greases swell some oring materials and break down the plastic of fittings. There are many oring materials - FKM, NBR, EPDM just to name a few. There are also many potable water rated plastics - CPVC, PVC, ... It's not a...
  3. BostonGuido

I'm replacing a Wellmate pressure tank with an identical one (the bag leaked) and the new tank did not come with the packet of lube for the QC fitting (O-ring). Anyone know what type of lube should be used? Would rather just use the right thing if I have it, or buy locally, than wait for a...
  4. BostonGuido

Kohler flush volume (water usage)

Will give that a try. You twist the screw at the end of the the fill valve arm (that has the float on it), right?
  5. BostonGuido

I tried contacting them and first they asked for the model number, which I provided. Then they went dark. Has been 2 weeks now with no reply so I think they want to sweep it under the rug. Does anyone know if the 1.28gpf rating is a scam to pass a regulatory/environmental requirement or is it...
  6. BostonGuido

CPVC threaded fitting failure

OK, I'll give you that. Possible that the temperature on the hot (outlet) side of the solar panel exceeded what CPVC fitting could take and by the time the water it got down to the tank it had cooled down some and did not blow there? Pressure is not particularly high (at 45 psi) but the CPVC...
  7. BostonGuido

Not quite sure I follow. System was in normal operation this time. The user error was shutting down the system circulator pump with water in the panels when the panels should have been drained for shutdown. How is it user error for this fitting to blow? You could perhaps argue it was plumbing...
  8. BostonGuido

There's a TP valve on the water heater tank (ground floor utility room, no basement). Yeah, in hindsight I agree with you but it's in the house now. There was a second TP valve on the top of the solar panel years ago and it blew because of user error - left the panel full of water but circulator...
  9. BostonGuido

So this 3/4" CPVC fitting was threaded into a Cu fitting in my attic, in the solar hot water loop. It let go with a bang on a nice sunny day with the circulator running and fortuately I was home to turn off the water. The actual domestic hot water is circulated throught the solar panels, it's...
  10. BostonGuido

I'll give it a shot but don't hold out much hope. I think that will step on the marketing or regulatory toes....
  11. BostonGuido

Thanks, fully. My bad on the terminology. Yes, it's a Fluidmaster fill valve, and a tower style rather than traditional flapper. Tower drops right down instantly so not hanging on anything. Water comes to the top of the tower (flush valve) when tank is full and fill valve shuts, but does not...
  12. BostonGuido

I have two 2016 Kohler toilets, labeled 1.28 GPF. They have the falling-float-on-a-stem style flush valve. They work fine and are properly adjusted. But they use about 2.5 GPF. Any ideas why this would be and if I can fix it? I want to reduce my water usage since I have a rain water cistern for...
  13. BostonGuido

Seal PVC Pipe Through Concrete

So I'm looking at things that I could wick in, and cyanoacrylate adhesives (superglues) come in a few very thin (low viscosity) formulations. Loctite 420, 493 and 4014 are available from McMaster and are the viscosity of alcohol so I'm hoping those would wick into the joint after it is good and...
  14. BostonGuido

Mini-split condensate drain installation question

There will have to be a hole drilled down to the ground floor, through the deck. Wall mounted disconnect (hole thru wall for power which is in a box on the inside wall) and conduit up to through the deck to the condenser unit for power. Grey box and grey conduit going up from it blends in...
  15. BostonGuido

Mini-split condensate drain installation question

Thanks, Fitter. Appreciate the reply. But where would the condensate pump in the wall unit pump to? No drain nearby. Running clear tubing would have to be on the living side of the (cast concrete) wall so pretty ugly.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks