Recent content by bobbobwhite

1. bobbobwhite

Stinky particleboard

Why does particleboard stink so much when wet and then retain the stink even after drying out? Leaky kitchen sink waste drain caused it and the particleboard below still stinks after drying out. Anything other than replacement to cure the stink? I sprayed clear laquer over it after drying it out...
  2. bobbobwhite

Outrageous furnace repair charges

Circuit board repair If not busy with other things, I would have looked at the board ID and model number and tried to buy it online. The install was virtually plug and play, very simple, plus a couple of screws. He said they "toss them" but I should have kept it for reference. We sure pay...
  3. bobbobwhite

HVAC guy said reason board failed "could be a lot of reasons", which is the same as "I don't know". These repairmen today are not repairmen as we used to know them, they are replacement men, as all they do now is test for bad parts and then replace them. And, if you can replace a board made in...
  4. bobbobwhite

HVAC guy replaced the electronic circuit board controller in my American Standard unit that is 8 years old that cost $2k total to install in 2002. One 15 cent transistor(HVAC man said that!!!) burned out on the board and he said "he had to replace the entire controller". He said that years ago...
  5. bobbobwhite

Built-in timers

X10 fine but do not need an expensive central controller for just one receptacle Is there a simple 2 piece system of merely 1) a switchable wall receptacle and a 2) simple wireless remote that switches the receptacle on and off? That's it, that's all I need, unless the receptacle has a built-in...
  6. bobbobwhite

Built-in timers

None say anything about whether the remote signal can/will be blocked by an object in the signal path, as would be the case in my situation. I would have to know that first before buying. If they don't say the signals won't be blocked, I must assume they will be. Do you know more?
  7. bobbobwhite

Built-in timers

Are there built-in timers available that can be installed in the wall as a one piece unit that includes a wall receptacle? I have a very unique, wall hanging Christmas tree picture made out of women's costume jewelry in a picture frame that has lights on the tree. As the light cord is behind the...
  8. bobbobwhite

Bad smell from toilet area

Dead rat in wall Exhausted all possibilities myself and called a plumber. He could find nothing wrong with anything mechanical but said he had seen this situation before with no smell in the basement or attic, no pipe leaks or sign of any leakage underneath, no pipe cracks or loose connection...
  9. bobbobwhite

Bad smell from toilet area

New bathrom is less than one and a half years old with all new fixtures. Bad decomposition/sewer gas smell started 2 days ago from toilet area. Crawl space beneath has no bad odor nor does the attic above, so I think it has to be the toilet wax seal, but why would that fail so soon? I've seen...
  10. bobbobwhite

Sound deadening

Just thought of something! What about expanding insulating foam shot in through holes at the top and/or bottom of the drywall in between the studs? Can I still get that stuff, in spray cans or an application that will still be pretty easy to do?
  11. bobbobwhite

Sound deadening

Should have stated this problem before ... there is not adequate room to work in this noisy furnace room, as the furnace is 6" from the drywall-faced side walls. The furnace is accessed in front by an insulated door but is only about 10" from the door. The furnace is blocked in the rear by a...
  12. bobbobwhite

Sound deadening

I have a furnace room that is in the middle of the house and the noise from the motor and fan is pretty loud. What is the best sound deadening material I can use inside the room to reduce this noise? I have been told to add another layer of drywall inside the room, or use a fiberous sound...
  13. bobbobwhite

Polishing marble spot to original shine

Wife used steel wool(Jeez) to try to get a mark off a marble countertop, now it has a 2" circle with no shine. How can I restore the original shine? Would extra fine pumice do it? Or rottenstone? Jeweler's rouge on a cloth buffing wheel? Don't have any marble to experiment on so do not want to...
  14. bobbobwhite

Ryobi One+battery charger used for lithium?

Darn. Thanks. Thought I could save some $$$. Guess not.
  15. bobbobwhite

Ryobi One+battery charger used for lithium?

I have the Ni-Cad One+ kit and wonder if the new lithium ion batteries can be safely charged on the ni-cad charger? I know the lithium chargers do both.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks