Recent content by bob_cville

1. bob_cville

Which Pipes Are the Water Pipes I Insulate?

I'm not an expert, and from the looks of things neither were some of the plumbers who've worked there in the past. If your plan is to insulate the hot water pipes only for energy loss reasons, one method of determining which are hot water pipes, is to turn on every hot water spigot, and then...
  2. bob_cville

Venting Issue With Shower Remodel

As a possible plan "B" for the project one option being discussed is to place a column (of some sort TBD) at the corner of where the new tiled shower will be, and put the 1 1/2" vent pipe inside that column, so that the vent is roughly in the same location as before, but closer to the tub...
  3. bob_cville

Venting Issue With Shower Remodel

We are remodeling our Master bath with a plan of changing the 3 foot by 4 foot one piece fiber glass shower to a tiled shower with two tiled walls and two glass walls. I found this picture looking toward the shower which has the door in front of the toilet and a wall dividing the the shower...
  4. bob_cville

Dam on pond Problem

This is an artist conception what the crack looked like:
  5. bob_cville

Dam on pond Problem

The problem is not fixed, but I have managed to patch it to make it less of a problem. By using epoxy putty that claimed to be able to set up under water, and some fiberglass tape to hold the epoxy in place, I have managed to reduce the leak from about 1-2 gallons per minute to about 8 oz per...
  6. bob_cville

Dam on pond Problem

Sorry if this isn't the right forum here. Maybe it belongs in the well forum or the irrigation forum since it is not an indoor plumbing problem, and the water isn't really under pressure, but the depth of the pond and the drop to the valve give a pretty good simulation of water pressure...
  7. bob_cville

Dam on pond Problem

Greetings We bought a property earlier this year with a small but deep pond. (maybe 1/2 acre by 30 feet deep) The pond level has been steadily going down. I assumed it was because we haven't had much rain, but just today I found that the pond drain line at the bottom of the dam has a 3"...
  8. bob_cville

Grounding for Water Heater

Greetings All, I'm replacing a failed electric water heater that was connected with 10-2 romex wire without ground. The inspector says that since it was that way before it is grandfathered in but it seems to me that it would be safer if it was grounded. Immediately above the water heater...
  9. bob_cville

Sledge Hammer Advice - CI Tub

I had the joy of doing this recently. I had a small 3 lb sledge that was completely worthless, but I didn't feel like buying a new sledge for this one task, so I used the hammer end of a 8 lb splitting maul. I also used a heavy moving blanket in the tub to stop the broken porcelain shrapnel...
  10. bob_cville

Remodeling Duplex

Thanks for weighing in. I thought I had more pictures, but they must be at home. There is no closet bend in this set-up. Immediately atop the stack in the first picture, there is a toilet flange and the toilet. The vent for the toilet, as the plumber explained it, is the horizontal pipe...
  11. bob_cville

Remodeling Duplex

Please, does anyone have any input on this? I've since talked with a local plumber, who looked at the existing plumbing and said that the existing work was up to code, and that in any case since it was existing, it would be grandfathered in. He said that he would run a new two inch line for...
  12. bob_cville

Remodeling Duplex

It seems at least that the line going to the kitchen should be correct (once the unvented washing machine drain is capped) and that the main drain after the long bend elbow at the bottom of the first picture should be correct. It just seems that the vertical stack to the toilet and the drain...
  13. bob_cville

Remodeling Duplex

We recently purchased an older duplex that has been rented out for some time. The resident of one half moved out and we were starting the process of fixing it up to rent again, and decided to remove the ugly sheet flooring and replace it with something new. Upon pulling it up we discovered...
  14. bob_cville

Is my supply pipe leaking?

Thanks for your help. I turned off the water just after the tank right after the pump cycled off, and could watch the pressure steadily drop. I called a well company out, they looked at it dug around some to find the leak, and decided that a mini backhoe was needed due to all of the roots...
  15. bob_cville

Is my supply pipe leaking?

Repair or replace One big difficulty with replacing the pipe is that the house is a ranch with a walkout basement. At the front of the house (where the pipe enters the basement) the pipe is probably 8ft below the surface of the ground. The ground slopes down towards the back of the house...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks