Recent content by Blue Oaks

1. Blue Oaks

Oil in well

If you have a cistern or a water truck you could potentially put enough water down into the well to float the oil out.
  2. Blue Oaks

Before i drill a new well

I think the well that was dug was about 450 feet. Heck, I paid about $4500 or so just to replace the pump/motor/piping just this year. Things are definitely more expensive out here in CA though.
  3. Blue Oaks

Before i drill a new well

My neighbor recently got a new well drilled. It was $45k. $15k seems like a bargain in comparison.
  4. Blue Oaks

a little gotcha on putting together my storage tank - use marine grade stainless hose clamps!

You can do a poor man's passivation with vinegar on stainless steel. It will dissolve iron particles on the surface, leading to better corrosion resistance.
  5. Blue Oaks

Pump run status indicator

I recently put one of these into my rental unit to monitor and charge the tenant for the electricity consumed. It's pretty good at isolating and monitoring the electrical usage of various appliances and would likely allow you to see when a well pump is running...
  6. Blue Oaks

Can you get a very accurate pressure sensor with alarm?

After my neighbor lost all his water the other day I started thinking again about having a pressure sensor with an alarm of sorts on it. The scenario is my water tanks on the hill, approx 80 vertical feet up. I'd like to put a sensor in my water closet with my heater and softener. It would...
  7. Blue Oaks

Well not pumping - PUMPTEC controller has power

Apparently that water column rushing down the hill pulled a hell of a vacuum at the top.
  8. Blue Oaks

My next door neighbors got their "welcome to country living" moment last night. I heard some water rushing, like a fast moving creek or something about 9pm. When I investigated with a flashlight I could see multiple streams of water as big around as my thigh emerging from the neighbors property...
  9. Blue Oaks

OK, OK it only pumped that long when the casing was full of water. After it cycled a few times I pumped what I think is a net 15 gallons every 15 mins, roughly. That seems to work out to pumping about 3 out of 15 mins at 5 GAL / min. In any event that's plenty of water for my needs. I'll...
  10. Blue Oaks

"Well" it's producing a ton of water! In a drought year, late in the season I would see the pump run for about a minute. The most I've ever seen it run before stopping to recharge is about 5 mins. I just got bored waiting for it to stop after 40 mins!!! I guess all the rains in CA are...
  11. Blue Oaks

Are you calling that one a second check valve because the pump has a check valve in it?
  12. Blue Oaks

Remember this just feeds the tanks I put up on the hill. There is no pressure switch on it, so the valves are not really doing much other than making it easier to service the well without making a mess from all the water in the pipe. I doubt there will be much if any hammer, but we'll see. I...
  13. Blue Oaks

Several cycles later and water was fairly clear, so we buttoned it up.
  14. Blue Oaks

The acid flush involves pouring a bunch (don't know how much) of acid into the well, routing the pump back into the well, and running it for 24 hours. All set and ready for some insulation wrap. The water was fairly dark gray when we fired it up. My well guy said that is crushed granite from...
  15. Blue Oaks

"Well" the crew is out replacing the pump, motor, and piping. Lots of sludge built up in the pipe. The guy was saying I should have them acid flush it on some sort of regular basis, every year and a half to two years. Also putting in new wire.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks