Recent content by Bldn10

1. Bldn10

Early 1940s "Standard" Tub Drain

I bought a dumbell wrench but the drain will not budge, it is tighter than the wrench metal is strong. :-/
  2. Bldn10

That is absolutely it, Marlinman! Thanks. It does not look like the plunger cage is actually attached to the rod so how would it close tight enough to seal the water out? I might try to find a 1 1/2" plunger and cut it to length and see if it works.
  3. Bldn10

Thanks, guys! Reach4, that looks like a typical trip lever drain but the lever in mine does not move up and down but side to side. It makes about a 270* arc. But same difference - it moves the vertical rod up and down. Terry, that looks like a combination trip lever and rocker arm pop up...
  4. Bldn10

I am renovating a house built in the early '40s and it has probably the original cast iron tub w/ probably replacement Sayco faucet and probably original "Standard" drain and overflow. The drain is my problem - it does not close. It is an odd design in that there is a rod that runs horizontally...
  5. Bldn10

Help! - new system is not cooling adequately

Wow, all kinds of good info there! This is a 90 year old house w/ no wall insulation, some old brown attic insulation that I had supplemented w/ blown in fiberglass, storm windows on most windows, plaster walls and ceilings. I'd say that it is equal or better than most similar houses in Midtown...
  6. Bldn10

Makeup was in quotes and was in reference to power vents creating negative pressure in the attic and sucking air out of the conditioned area. As I have said several times, I am pretty certain that the system is properly charged. And I AM dealing with licensed contractors.
  7. Bldn10

I consulted w/ another contractor yesterday and he too was against the power vent so I have not installed it. As to attic cross ventilation, there are 4 gables on the house w/ windows approx. 2' x 2.5'. If that is enough "makeup" air, as a lay person I would think that the power vent would pull...
  8. Bldn10

It's a brand new system.
  9. Bldn10

I am aware of that position, that's why this is a last resort attempt. FWIW both my contractor and another one I consulted and has no dog in the fight disagree. If I could get strong opinions on what if anything is wrong with this system, I'd ask the contractor to fix it. He blames it all on...
  10. Bldn10

The unit is in an attic equipment room w/ 2 gable windows, all R8 flex duct. He had the coil in a counterflow orientation and he took it upon himself to turn it around. Seems like it a helped some but still not working great. Had it set on 72 from Mon. afternoon and it was 72 Tues. morning. By...
  11. Bldn10

I can only assume that this licensed HVAC contractor knows how to check and add refrigerant. I think the problem is more fundamental than that - I don't the the ducting is sized correctly. I suspect they got to the house with the plenums and sized the ducts to fit them. I just checked and the 2...
  12. Bldn10

"They checked the refrigerant..." The coil is pretty close to the condenser. Haven't sighted a sight glass. The line is cold. From all appearances the system is operating correctly but I don't think he has checked the airflow yet. I'm beginning to think that the supply trunks are undersized and...
  13. Bldn10

Gas furnace, pretty sure it is not lighting up. I wish.
  14. Bldn10

"HVAC contractors need to start thinking of more of air conditions system needs than heating" Especially in this house - I retained the working radiator system - the CH will rarely even be used! 2 of the returns branch off the same line but the other 2 are independent. 1 filter between the...
  15. Bldn10

There are 4 low returns downstairs and those ducts are rather large, probably 14". The unit is on one end of the house so there are some long runs. I believe the "large" trunks are 12". Yes, until it reaches desired temp, and when the temp is rising outside, it runs continuously, producing a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks