Recent content by BigLou

1. BigLou

Internal cable clamps and old wiring

This is generally correct, they will however gladly sue any body they don't insure if they think they are at all to blame. http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jun/1/127907.html
  2. BigLou

Internal cable clamps and old wiring

Mike, I am not an electrician not even close. Last time I checked an arc can get to over 5k degrees am I supposed to believe that a plastic box is going to confine a 5000 degree arc in any meaningful way ? Lou
  3. BigLou

Is This Up To Code?

Alelectrician Just because everybody is doing it does not make it right. I know with most things building there is the "test" answer and the "real world answer". I however don't think its prudent to be giving DIY's anything but the most code compliant answer. They will often times misapply...
  4. BigLou

RePlumbing old hot water system for efficiency

Or worse yet you will get a lot of condensation in both the firebox and the chimney. Any time the exhaust drops below 140 you get condensation. It may not be very likely in the fire box but I have replaced many a chimney due to oil burner condensate. You should see what the sulphuric acid does...
  5. BigLou

best heating unit for small radiant with solar backup?

Oh great master plumber who knows all. Tell me where exactly it says I can only get 30% or less of my hot water heating needs ? I think you need to re read it and understand their assumptions and re think what you just said. I would like to hire you as my stock broker and retirement agent...
  6. BigLou

Low Temperature Hyronic systems?

How about radiant baseboards or wall panel radiators ? Even the old cast iron radiators would work well in your situation. Like NH master said at low water temps you don't get a whole lot of convection out of fin tube so don't count on it for heat. I have lots of steel fin tube(heavy)...
  7. BigLou

Working with propane and natural gas questions

Grumpy, so some one disagrees with you and offers a different view point and you stop comming to the site. Thats a sad state of affiars if you want to take you ball and go home. Plumber are not my enemys. I would be lost in construction with out my plumbers they are essential to a well...
  8. BigLou

Please help me design a new heating system!

Grumpy, looks like I will have to call buderus to see if I can't find some on to agree with you. AT 155 degree exhaust temp the boiler is not condensing. There may be some condensation in the pipe AFTER it leaves the boiler BUT THE BOILER IS NOT CONDENSING. Maybe the company will disagree. Lou
  9. BigLou

Thanks glad to know you agree with my reciepts I thought we both agreed long ago that $6,000 was not going to work. I think I may have mis added and its more like $900 a year in gas bills. If you don't believe me come over and I will show you my oil slips and gas bills. The mod/con always...
  10. BigLou

Thats multi family I was refering strictly to single family dwellings. what about the drunk driver who hits them on the way home? Life is dangerous sorry Happens all the time with many other aspects of the building trades and life in general. People think deck building is easy yet people are...
  11. BigLou

If his system is all ripped out already won't he need these things no matter what kind of boiler he goes with ? ??? where did I make a mistake ? show me ? I guess my truck has a condensing motor because some of the exhaust condenses in the tail pipe now thats just funny. its old enough to...
  12. BigLou

My debate with grumpy aside. On the advice of a MA licensed plumber who also has an ENGINEERING DEGREE who designs heating systems for a living and will soon have his Massachusetts Professional Engineer license so he can stamp plans for heating systems for large commercial buildings. I bought...
  13. BigLou

Ralph, I would save your money and go with the baseboards. Heavy basebaords like that will produce nice even comfortable heat. You also can't beat the price right ? Before you take the keyspan deal. Remember they are in business to sell you gas not save you money. They plan on your gas...
  14. BigLou

I think we need to stop protecting people from them selves. If a DIY is dumb enough to put them selves and their familys well being at risk we should let them. They should still be required to pull permits and get inspected maybe even at an additional cost. But if they want to put thier family...
  15. BigLou

UMMMM most if not all silicone is good to at least 500 degreees. I agree you would have one hell of a problem if the flue gasses were 500 degrees in a PVC pipe.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks