Recent content by Betsy Callahan

1. Betsy Callahan

Earlier TPR valve question

The water heater is not mounted under the kitchen sink, it is mounted under the kitchen counter top in a corner. It is in a tight space and it is a smaller water heater, not a full sized one like is in the garage in a normal house. The home inspector recommends having a plumber fix it. Any...
  2. Betsy Callahan

Upward mounted TPR valve

I am looking at buying a condo and the home inspector noted the TPR valve is mounted to discharge upward and it is a safety hazard. Any idea what is involved in fixing this? Do I have to buy a whole new water heater? It is in a small space under the sink in the kitchen. Any thoughts are...
  3. Betsy Callahan

Some tiles in shower bend when push on wall

Thank you all for your insights. What a difference a day makes. The ?sheet rock or drywall was nailed to the studs NOT screwed in and the nails are so rusty that the heads break off when you try to remove them. On one of the vertical studs they added a ?particle board shim part of the way...
  4. Betsy Callahan

Thank you all very much for responding. We plan to be in this house probably 2 - 2 1/2 more years tops. DIY, I was planning on using the same tiles, just because I wanted them to match the other tiles in the shower. I found 4.25" x 4.25" white tiles at Home Depot, but it didn't look like...
  5. Betsy Callahan

Thank you Wayne and Jim, I scraped the grout and 5 tiles came off pretty easily. Wayne was right, there was wet dry wall or gypsum board that broke up and peeled off really easily and the insulation in the wall between the studs was slightly wet also. I did not see evidence of mold or any...
  6. Betsy Callahan

Master bath shower in home built in 1989 has 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" white, shiny tile on 2 walls with glass enclosure making the other 2 walls of enclosed shower. I noticed some grout was failing and if I gently push on some areas of the tile, those areas bend inwards, and in other areas it does not...
  7. Betsy Callahan

Replace pre-filter housing on home water filter system

Yes I think it is the only choice I have. Thanks Reach4
  8. Betsy Callahan

Thank you Reach4. The wall is too far away from the filter so I am going to have to find a way to support it from the bottom.
  9. Betsy Callahan

Thanks Bannerman, You are correct, the wall is too far away, and I really don't want to reconfigure the piping. I think I will build something that supports it from below. Would something that supports the bottom of the prefilter from gravity be good enough, or am I more concerned about...
  10. Betsy Callahan

Thank you for the advice dittohead. Can I buy Spears PVC products locally at Home Depot or Lowes or Ace hardware? I really need to get this done, my family is tired of placing rags and old t-shirts on top of the pre-filter housing, to absorb the water that is constantly leaking off the top...
  11. Betsy Callahan

Thank you for the information gmith22. I read the fine print on the oatey cans I have and it says will work with both sch 40 and sch 80 PVC. I have city water. The grey threaded pipes have no writing on them at all, but the paper receipt from aquasana indicates that the threaded pipes and the...
  12. Betsy Callahan

Thank you reach4. You are correct, it says NFC certified on both cans and in the directions it says for potable water, so I think I am ok using it.
  13. Betsy Callahan

Thank you again Bannerman. That video explained alot. I will read the labels on the oatey glue and primer I have and if it is not NSF certified I will get some that is. Saturday morning I am going to attempt to do it. Thanks for your advice and the video.
  14. Betsy Callahan

Thanks for replying Bannerman What is the appropriate adhesive? Is it the Oatey PVC cement that also comes with the can of purple primer? Is that safe for water coming into the house? I have used that to fuse sprinkler plastic pipe in the yard before? No instructions came with the...
  15. Betsy Callahan

Thank you again for responding Bannerman, I just got the new pre-filter in the mail today and it came with new two union nuts and four pieces of pipe threaded only on one end. I took pictures of what I was sent, including the new pre-filter. This makes it easier, right? All I have to do is...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks