Recent content by BDP

1. BDP

Did I Need An Expansion Tank?

So basically I was lied to and he could have just fixed the leaking valve and been done with it. Sure my water heater is 10 years old, but I knew that going in -- I was making the service call to fix the valve, not have the entire system replaced. I guess I have no recourse though. That...
  2. BDP

Yeah probably right on the bill of goods. I figured I would have the option to JUST replace the valve. He gave me no such option. Lowest option was valve and expansion tank. He DID recommend that he also put on the PRV at the main line as well to go with the tank but I didn't want to spend...
  3. BDP

The expansion tank model is a PH 5 and says 40 PSI on the label...But the way it's connected there's no open nozzle I can hook into to read pressure off it at all without disconnecting the whole tank from the look of it.
  4. BDP

Is there any way I can tell looking at the tank? Probably not right? I don't see a way to read air pressure where he's got the little tank, it's just mainlined in above my old existing tank.
  5. BDP

Thanks. So it sounds like I am most of the way there. Yesterday, he put in a new release valve at the water heater, and an expansion tank. I still do not have a pressure regulator on the main line coming into the house. Sounds like I need that too if I really want to do the right thing. In...
  6. BDP

I might have a check valve, not sure on that...My home is around 10 years old, not sure if a check valve was standard but I would assume I at least have that. I don't have a PRV at the main line at this point though I know a lot of folks in the area are getting them due to the water company...
  7. BDP

As always I do appreciate the vast amount of knowledge and the responses here. You have made me feel better about the install. It sounds like, given the fact that my local water company has raised pressure, and that I don't have a PRV on my main water line into the house (not yet anyway), the...
  8. BDP

Not sure on the local codes, but I guess my system is open...I have city water/sewer. Not my own well or anything. If that's what that means. I just got a little shaky at the fact that he said just putting the new valve on would leak again, that without the expansion tank the new valve...
  9. BDP

I try and research my plumbing issues before I call in the professionals just to be well educated, though am smart enough to know when not to DIY and call in pros like yourselves. However I am always wary of getting a fair shake with repairs so have a question. Have a standard tank water...
  10. BDP

Toilet - Replaced Float, Have Leaks...

I just went ahead and got a whole new supply line, braided steel this time instead of the plastic line. Worked tons better on the first try, hand tight, no leaks. I just want to take a minute to say thanks to everyone in this forum, you are really a patient and helpful bunch and that's pretty...
  11. BDP

Any other suggestions? I tightened as far as I humanly could by hand (pretty tight) and I still have a slow leak at the join of the fill valve. It's a brand new valve AND a brand new connector cable. The leak is really slow, like maybe a tablespoon of water per hour. But still, obviously...
  12. BDP

Thanks Terry. I'll have to disconnect and just try it again. I assumed that the line already had what it needed inside as far as a washer but I will double check when I disconnect. I'll be sure and disconnect and re-tighten the fill valve point last. The leak is definitely at that...
  13. BDP

I hope I wouldn't be that silly to put the rubber washer outside. ;) On closer inspection it DOES look like it's coming from the join, not from the tank, so that's good - I tightened that by hand REALLY tight there but still got a VERY slow drip, do you guys use teflon tape or a vice grip...
  14. BDP

Terry (or anyone)... In the end I decided it was time for a new toilet, went with the Cadet 3 American Standard. Good reviews and all. Tank's not overly tight on the bowl but I see this is a common problem (I cracked a bowl once putting the tank on too tight so I'm more careful now)...
  15. BDP

Thanks Terry. I was at the local big boxes looking for plumbing specific tools but couldn't find anything like that. I'll just ask for plumber's pliers when I go in there tomorrow. Maybe I just need to get that thing tighter.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks