Recent content by BarryP

1. BarryP

how to remove the stem from a bath tub faucet

The red one wins! Get it on there and even tighten it while it's on, but before you start turning. Then turn. A 1" (?) pipe, slid over the handle to extend the length of the wrench will increase your force, provided you don't choke-up on the handle. Adding some penetrating oil (overnight)...
  2. BarryP

Tub/shower valve installation with 2x3 studs

More expensive and a harder wood to screw into. You'll need brackets which you'll be screwing at a tight angle too, but if it works for you, great! You're doing the work. Remember - You're framing, not building a cabinet. Barry
  3. BarryP

Drain Question for the experts, Local Plumber installed shower drain question.

I thought I replied to this post yesterday. Can't figure why it's not showing. Maybe you posted at another site? Regardless, the answer to your question is not so clear cut. It depends on the materials you intend to use to install your shower floor. A. Height is just right - if A) you...
  4. BarryP

I know this may sound silly, but... Can you post pic of the wrenches you are using? Also, see the most bottom nut? It is half of the assembly which fastens the valve to the tub. See how thin it is? A wrench is able to bite onto that. Therefore, it can bite onto the nut you need to remove...
  5. BarryP

4. Install blocking under the valve with holes drilled so supply lines can run through it. Valve will basically sit on blocking. Strap valve to blocking. Strapping is sold in 10' lengths, coiled ($4). Strapping has holes in it for screwing down. It is easier to fit the valve to the...
  6. BarryP

You actually need to have 2 3/4" from back of rough to FINISHED wall. Add backer board and tile thickness to the stud depth and you're well within depth requirement. Barry
  7. BarryP

I'm going to disagree with you here. You may have to angle the monkey wrench so the mouth of the jaw is angled down ever so slightly. That way it'll have less of an opportunity to twist off. There is a bit of finesse involved. Of course the wrench teeth need to be sharp. The most important...
  8. BarryP

Use a monkey wrench. The jaw has some play in it so when you rotate the wrench (in the direction of the open side of the jaw), it bites down on the nut. A brilliant tool. If you only have a crescent wrench, be sure to seat the nut fully in the crescent/ jaw, so it's braced on 3 sides, and...
  9. BarryP

Plumbing Shower Valves

The existing supply lines are 1/2". The thermostatic control shower valve has 3/4" ports. There are 2 volume control valves - one for a standard wall shower and one for a handheld shower. Each volume control valve has 3/4" ports. I was thinking of running 3/4" the feeds to the volume...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks