Recent content by BackedUp

1. BackedUp

Broken bolt on cast iron toilet flange

Fortunately, I followed American Standard's installation instructions!
  2. BackedUp

Well, it didn't happen for me, either, so I can't really disagree with you. :)
  3. BackedUp

I don't remember exactly where I saw it. I think it was one of the eHow articles on how to remove old closet bolts. There are lots of mentions of methane being present in sewer gases and that being a risk of combustion.
  4. BackedUp

Flammable, not flames. That's why I read, at least: highly toxic and highly flammable.
  5. BackedUp

I was thinking it was fused to the flange after 60 years of corrosion, but you may be right. (It occurred to me after spraying the WD-40 that combining a highly flammable spray with highly flammable sewer gases may not have been the best idea.)
  6. BackedUp

Good. :) I did dry fit the toilet and the right side was sitting on the nut and raised a quarter inch or more off the floor. Don't forget, my flange is raised a bit and I had to lift it more to get the t-bolt under the repair ring. Plus, the new toilet is a very compact American Standard...
  7. BackedUp

Don't fight about it on my behalf, guys. I appreciate all the helpful tips, even if some needed clarification. :) I struck out on finding the desired repair ring at Lowe's, as well. That's always my first choice, but Ace is much closer. Rather than drive around town trying Home Depot...
  8. BackedUp

I had the same thought an hour ago, so I sprayed the broken bolt with some WD-40 and let it soak while running some errands. No luck so far with the vise grips, though. That thing is probably fused in there from years of corrosion. However, that could work to my advantage if cutting it off...
  9. BackedUp

I saw those hanger bolts at the store and thought they'd be perfect if only I could remove the old ones intact! The ones I saw were brass. Good thinking on the back to back nuts, I'll give that a try.
  10. BackedUp

No luck removing the screws, so I guess I'll have to cut them off. I picked up two repair rings and a riser ring at Ace to try out, but none of them extend beyond the outside edge of the current flange. They didn't have anything that looks like Terry's photo. Should I try drilling into the...
  11. BackedUp

Thanks, that explanation helps a bundle. I'll try removing the screws in the morning. Worst case scenario, they snap off and I'm right back to where I would be with the repair ring, needing to cut them off flush anyway. Is the lead-over-metal a common method of installing flanges in older...
  12. BackedUp

Thanks for the quick reply! How would I remove the screws exactly? That's definitely the best option if it's doable. I don't see or feel any slots on the top of the unbroken one. Is it just a matter of gripping it with channel locks and turning counter-clockwise? How would the repair ring...
  13. BackedUp

Hi all, I ran across this forum when researching new toilets and ran across it again when searching for how to remove a rusted/broken toilet flange closet bolt, as seen in the attachment. The right one crumbled while removing the nut, even though it took very little force. The left one doesn't...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks