Recent content by Atulc

1. Atulc

How to remove all sludge buildup in an old galvanized drain pipe

Tuttles Revenge, Of course I will run the snake first. And I might find my religion by the time I'm done with this! Sylvan, Thanks for sharing your experience and insights. I will try snaking followed by enzymatic cleaners first and, if that doesn't work, I will consider hydro jetting. Since...
  2. Atulc

Terry, John, Thanks for your guidance. Good to know that there are no magical tools for solving this problem. I will try frequent treatment with enzyme cleaners and see if that helps. If not, I know I'd need to bite the bullet and replace the galvanized pipe with PVC. Reach4, Thanks. You're...
  3. Atulc

Thanks for the suggestion. I love your daily churchgoing analogy.
  4. Atulc

I am faced with extreme sludge buildup in a 25' run of a 50+ year old 2" galvanized drain pipe. This pipe is draining only the kitchen sink. The kitchen is at the opposite end of the house from baths and septic system. The 25' section is resting on top of a cinderblock foundation in a finished...
  5. Atulc

Brass P-trap and Galvanized Steel Stub-Out

I was able to remove the brass stub-out with an 18" pipe wrench with a 3-foot section of a 1-1/2" steel pipe as a cheater bar. See pictures below. First, I tried loosening the stub-out with the bare tool but the stub-out didn't budge at all. Then I sprayed some Aerokroil penetrant and gave it...
  6. Atulc

cacher_chick, You make a good point. Based on your reasoning, I researched the topic of galvanic corrosion between brass and galvanized steel further and came across this ... http://www.plbg.com/forum/read.php?1,466241. It seems that the brass used for valves on steel pipes has a different...
  7. Atulc

Reach4, You are right. The equivalent PVC fittings are readily available in my area whereas I have to special order the ABS fittings. I'll go with PVC.
  8. Atulc

cacher_chick, Thanks for the suggestion. I am concerned about well documented galvanic corrosion between brass and steel. The brass p-trap outlet connected directly to the galvanized steel stub-out on the previous setup shown above caused severe corrosion on the bottom side of the stub-out in...
  9. Atulc

dj2, Thanks for the ABS fitting suggestion. Do you mean removing the steel stub-out and installing the two fittings shown below? Do they make ABS male trap adapters/ Desanco fittings with male threads that would fit directly into the female threads in the galvanized fitting in the wall...
  10. Atulc

Hello, I am replacing the P-trap under a bath sink. I'd like to install a Kohler K-9000-CP brass P-trap. There is a 1-1/2" galvanized steel stub-out coming out of the wall (see the 1st picture). If I can get it out, I'd be left with a a 1-1/2" galvanized FIP hub recessed about a half inch into...
  11. Atulc

AC Condensate Drain Question

Thanks a million for finding the PDF for this old unit and confirming that rubber elbow or hose is the original design. I was using the full model# in my search and wasn't getting anywhere. I'll use a short length of rubber hose or a flexible coupling to connect the drain to the EZ Trap.
  12. Atulc

AC Condensate Drain Question

The condensate drain line in my attic developed a leak. I temporarily sealed the leaking section with Nashua stretch and seal tape. I plan to completely replace the drain soon. Here's what I found in the attic. The drain line for the evaporator currently has no trap. I will add an EZ-Trap with...
  13. Atulc

How to remove Grohe Sinfonia Faucet

Finally got the cap off by wrapping it in plenty of electrical tape and using channel lock pliers. I can see now why it was so hard to unscrew - the cartridge and the inside of the cap are heavily corroded. Now to the next challenge - despite removing the cap, I can't get the cartridge out. It's...
  14. Atulc

HJ - thanks, I'll try out the electrical tape and channel lock pliers. Sorry, I didn't mean to remove the faucet but just the handle and cap. Thanks for correcting that.
  15. Atulc

I need to replace the cartridge in my Grohe 20.655 Sinfonia two-handle lavatory wideset. This requires removal of the cross handle 1 and cap 5 (see the diagram and parts list). It is straight forward to remove the cross handle. But I can't figure out how to remove the cap. Grohe tech support...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks