Recent content by ArtM

1. A

What type of drain below hot water heater

Fill the trap with mineral oil. It won't evaporate out like the water will.
  2. A

Worst Case Scenario.. Sewer Main in Concrete

Well, the concrete is only a small part of the work. It's all the dirt you may need to move under the concrete that gets tiring. And then, to do it right you need a gravel bed before the new line install, and then some more gravel and a whole bunch of dirt to fill in the trench. You haven't...
  3. A

Is methane dangerous when cutting cast iron?

I've given up cutting cast with saws. What a frustrating experience. If I need to cut cast, I use a soil pipe cutter. Google RIDGID Model 246 Soil Pipe Cutter and you can see the one I rent as needed - it's worth every penny and then some. Last 4" cast I had to cut took me about 3 minutes. If...
  4. A

Help with pipe layout and direction

Actually, since you seem to know little about plumbing I'd suggest the first for you. Without understanding the basics, the second may not do you much good. I don't recommend books unless they are good. Here, read a bit about the first book and the author. Basic Plumbing with Illustrations...
  5. A

Help with pipe layout and direction

Wayne, Since you have some time off work, why not consider a little reading. Try this one: Basic Plumbing with Illustrations, Revised By: Howard C. Massey Published by: Craftsman Book Company ISBN: 0-934041-99-7 384 Pages, 8-1/2 x 11 And maybe this one: Planning Drain Waste & Vent Systems By...
  6. A

Tankless info from consumer reports, Tankless...Bahhhhh

Good thought. Thanks for mentioning it. We've a well that has a pretty consistent temp summer or winter. Unsure what the temp of it is - but it isn't ice cold. We'll be out there next weekend. Think I'll measure the temp and find out what we're dealing with.
  7. A

Where's the smell?

I'll let the plumbing pros have the final say but it looks like you're missing vents for the sink and shower. Nice hack job on the joists. You've seriously compromised their load carrying ability - probably by 1/2 or more.
  8. A

Makes sense, but one can't get very many back to back showers out of a 40 gal electric tank. At our place, after six or eight of us have been running through the mountains all day, we all would like to shower before evening cards and games. So I'm thinking tankless may have its place - even...
  9. A

Well, I won't pay retail for a tankless ;) ... But, it may make sense for one of my layouts. We have a family country place that is in need of a complete plumbing overhaul. We leave the heat on (moderately) all the time (winter) as we never know when someone may be dropping in to use the place...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks