Recent content by artistsnature

1. artistsnature

Washer hose drains upward into house vent in attic

Hi everyone, I purchased a ranch built on a slab. The washer, which is on an inside wall in the kitchen, has a hose running up to the attic and into the house vent stack (which doesn't go through the roof, which I plan to extend). There is no vent at the washer, and at the end of each wash any...
  2. artistsnature

Adding washing machine and tray to bathroom DWV

Hi guys, I'm trying to tie a new laundry room into an existing bathroom on a raised slab. The copper supply lines (as well as cast iron drains) are all under concrete, so I'm going to cut them off and re-route them through the walls. My concern is, is it okay to patch the washer and tray into...
  3. artistsnature

Why do I get hot water but no heat from oil boiler?

I have a Weil-McLain oil boiler, hot water baseboard, and the supply line froze (outside tank, overhead line). This happened last year too, so I had added heating oil additive to this year's tank, wrapped the pipe in heating wire and wrapped that in insulating tape. It still froze this year...
  4. artistsnature

How to install vent stack in existing bathroom

I believe that the shower and washer are NOT vented; well, I know that for sure about the washer. They are all p-traps, I think - I've just never tried to draw a plumbing diagram, so it didn't come out perfect. The 1.5" vent over the soil stack is the only vent stack on the roof. BTW the whole...
  5. artistsnature

Ok, let's see if this schematic uploads correctly. The soil stack is just outside the shower; there's no clean-out; the only pipe leading to it is the 2" horizontal pvc that drains the washer and lavatory in the basement, and the dishwasher/sink and upstairs shower (they each have pvc pipes...
  6. artistsnature

Good point. Could someone show me a picture of a properly vented basement shower? At least I would know what to look for...
  7. artistsnature

After all of the wonderful advice I have received here, I'm pretty sure that the basement bathroom is not vented at all. Neither is the top-most bathroom. I can cut open the walls in the basement and upstairs bathroom to vent the lavatories, but how do I vent the existing shower in the basement...
  8. artistsnature

Methane Odor in Basement Bathroom

BRILLIANT! Actually, it's the upstairs shower, the dishwasher OR the washing machine that cause the stink - all of which (plus the basement lavatory) drain into the same 1.5 " horizontal pvc pipe that leads directly into the bottom of the waste stack.... I'm not sure where the vent stack...
  9. artistsnature

Duh! Now I really feel like an idiot! I looked and there is indeed water in the shower trap! I don't think anyone ever answered: Could the 1.5 inch vent stack below the top-most fixtures be inadequate for the 3 bathroom house? Would that cause the air to back up through the basement drain...
  10. artistsnature

OK, so in order to make sure all the bases are covered: is it possible that there is either a partial blockage in the basement shower, or a missing trap, that could cause this smell - and do I have to rip up the shower pan and check before I do a smoke test?
  11. artistsnature

But if it's funk growing in the shower pan, why does it only stink when I run the dishwasher or the upstairs shower?
  12. artistsnature

Is there water in all your traps? Do you have a floor drain that is never used and the water evaporated out? Do you have a sump that collects from the footing and is that where the odor is coming from? Check all the obvious before you worry about smoke testing. Ok you guys, now that you've...
  13. artistsnature

I do have propane tanks, but they were replaced 6 months ago, when the propane leaks were fixed. Only the dryer and oven are on propane. Is it safe to do a smoke test with propane in the house? The septic system is brand new - tank, field and all. When they were replaced, so was all the soil...
  14. artistsnature

I have been considering a smoke test, although I've read that they can be screwed up (not enough pressure, etc.). Is this something I can try myself - rent a machine somewhere - or do I need to leave this one to the pros? BTW, the septic was new less than a year ago - it had evidently not...
  15. artistsnature

Rubber stopper Yeah, already tried that. No improvement.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks