Recent content by Anthony W

1. Anthony W

PEX Home Run vs recirculating loop?

We're on a private well. Haven't tested at the house, but pressure is about 40-60psi at the well. As to waste, yes, I meant the heat loss from the pipe, though I suppose the pump adds a bit too. I was just researching ways to reduce the wait time without needing the recirculating system. It...
  2. Anthony W

PEX Home Run vs recirculating loop?

Our master shower is located roughly 60 feet from our hot water heater (pipe length). Knowing this may be an issue, I added a hot water recirculating loop when we built our house in 2003. It works fine, but with our varying schedule the pump runs 4-5 hours in the morning, and another 4-5 hours...
  3. Anthony W

Pressure switch cutting off with low pressure?

It is a brand new liquid filled gauge. It seems to be accurate at the 30psi cut-in and 50psi cut-off settings, so I have no reason to believe it is faulty. As for the faucet, I was soaking in the bathtub while it filled when the water just stopped flowing. I didn't turn the faucet off until...
  4. Anthony W

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try! The guy who sold us the well parts 30 years ago recommended the low pressure cutoff type switch to "save the pump" if the water level got too low in the well. We never had an issue with the old switch, so I just replaced it with the same type switch when I...
  5. Anthony W

I recently had to replace our pressure tank, so I replaced the tank tee, gauge, and pressure switch at the same time. I installed a Square D 30/50 switch with a low pressure cutoff, just like the one I installed 30 years ago. I set the air in the pressure tank to 28 psi. Everything seems to...
  6. Anthony W

Help me select a new pump

Our pump house is on it's own electrical service, so I would only need a generator big enough to run the pump. Preferably something small enough I could move down to the house if I needed to power the fridge or something. Honestly though, we rarely have power outages so it's more of a luxury...
  7. Anthony W

Awesome! Thank you. That's what I was looking for. Much appreciated. I installed the pump myself back in 1991, it wasn't that heavy. I just wasn't sure how much a 60' length of 1" pipe full of water would add to that. My existing well seal is cast iron and is extremely rusty after 30 years...
  8. Anthony W

The product selector on the Grundfos web site recommends either the 5SQ05-180 or the 10SQ05-160. Which do you think would be best for my situation? They seem to be about the same price.
  9. Anthony W

Thank you for clarifying. That makes more sense. I've been looking at the Grundfos pumps since that's what I have now and it has lasted 30 years. They do tend to be rather expensive though. Are there other/better pump brands you would recommend?
  10. Anthony W

Whoosh!!! Right over my head. :) Pump is 60' down in well. Pressure switch is 30/50. Tank is 52 gallon. Piping is 1" diameter and about 100 feet to the house. What is my calculated total head?
  11. Anthony W

Why is pressure switch differential always 20psi?

The old tank was an 80 gallon Waterworker tank I bought in 1991. I'm not sure of the model number, I think it said XW350. The new tank is a Reliance PMD-52. The guy at the store said it was the same as the AO-Smith brand (Reliance bought them?). Home Depot and Lowes both list 52 and 80 gallon...
  12. Anthony W

All of the places selling Grundfos pumps online list the -230 and -270 as 3/4 HP pumps? The -180 is the biggest 1/2 HP pump listed. Can you clarify how total head is calculated? I assume I would count the 60' from the pump to the top of the well. Where I get lost is how to calculate what I...
  13. Anthony W

I appreciate the feedback, but I'm still confused. My current 5S05-13 pump works well, I just want something comparable, preferably with 115V power instead of 230V. I'm also confused about calculating my total head. If my pump is 60ft down in the well, and I add 115ft for distribution as Wayne...
  14. Anthony W

My 5S05-13 is a 1/2 HP pump. The 5SQ05-270 is a 3/4 HP pump and 240V (I want 120V if possible). If I'm reading the pump curve chart correctly, the 5SQ05-180 will do 5GPM with a 180 foot head. I don't understand the total head calculation completely, but 60 foot up the well, 10 feet above...
  15. Anthony W

Yeah, that has been my general viewpoint as well. At the same time, I don't want to be in a situation where our pump dies and we're without water for 2-3 weeks waiting for a new pump to be delivered. Do well pumps give any sign that they are failing? Or do they just stop pumping all at once?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks