Recent content by Andy Ring

1. Andy Ring

Rerouting Drain pipes in concrete slab: DIY or call a pro?

I am a fairly accomplished DIY plumber, but all my previous projects have been on bathrooms and kitchens where the plumbing was accessible from beneath and in wood framing. Now, I'm contemplating renovating a bathroom that is on a concrete slab (not a basement, however). The toilet and shower...
  2. Andy Ring

Recirculator works to prevent frozen pipes

Thanks to this board, I found out about hot water recirculators. Since I have now survived one winter, I want to report back that a recirculator seems to be a good last ditch solution for pipes susceptible to freezing. I have a bathroom addition on my house made of concrete block. The...
  3. Andy Ring

Ripping WonderBoard...

What about using Hardiboard? If it will work, its' a lot easier to cut than Wonderboard and gives cleaner edges. You can cut it on a tablesaw no problem.
  4. Andy Ring

Ripping WonderBoard...

Won't traditional scoring and snapping work? Not sure what your application is, but why would the edges need to so clean. You can always use a shurform plane to clean up the edges afterwards. If you must have really clean edges, I don't think the table saw is your best option. I have cut...
  5. Andy Ring

When is it worth fixing a water heater?

Its not the pressure relief valve that's leaking, BTW.
  6. Andy Ring

When is it worth fixing a water heater?

I hear of people fixing their water heaters rather than replacing, but I'm not sure when it makes sense to do so. I have a gas 40 gallon heater that is leaking fast through one of the bolts on top of it (not cold in or hot out) maybe the diptube don't know much about water heaters. The heater...
  7. Andy Ring

Hot Water Recirculation Choices

I'm installing a Grundfos today I'm actually installing a GrundFos Comfort Series pump today. I'm actually doing it not for instant hot water, but to stop some very inaccessible pipes from freezing (slight circulation of hot water should prevent freezing, that's the idea anyway). I bought...
  8. Andy Ring

Fresh air for furnace

I know this isn't strictly speaking a plumbing question, but thought you might be able to help anyway... My friends just bought a new loft style apartment in NYC where each apartment has its own gas fired boiler to supply hot water for the radiators. Unfortunately, their boiler (furnace?) is...
  9. Andy Ring

Inexpensive mop sink

ebay Go to ebay, enter the keyword "mop sink" there's a brand new sink there for $20. Its not exactly what you're looking for, but its close and the price is right. Description: Advance Tabco Comm. RESTAURANT MIB Floor Mount Mop Sink This is a brand new, still in the box Advance Tabco...
  10. Andy Ring

Inexpensive mop sink

Try Home Depot: $97.21 Thought Home Depot had one, so I went to their website and searched on "utility sink" this is what I found: "40 In. X 24 In. White Double Bowl Utility Tub Model 27F $97.21 Sturdy, one-piece molded tub made with structural thermoplastic. Heavy gauge steel legs...
  11. Andy Ring

Venting problem in my parent's house: Help

Thanks Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, my parents live in Clinton, NY in heart of the snow belt, so doing work on their roof is pretty hard right now. Because of your advice, they will be calling a roofer and having him patch in a vent though the roof ASAP (maybe not til Spring?). In...
  12. Andy Ring

Venting problem in my parent's house: Help

Went home for the holidays and stumbled upon a plumbing problem at my parents 70's single story ranch house. It started when my mom showed me a leak in their bathroom ceiling coming through the drywall. I climbed into the unheated crawlspace above it and found that the main vent stack vented...
  13. Andy Ring

Could RedyTemp be a solution for frozen pipes?

Insulating Thanks Deb, Your suggestion is a good one and I have already made some headway sealing up leaks. Whoever built the addition laid the concrete blocks on their sides beneath grade (so their holes were exposed horizontally) above grade they were laid with their holes vertical as...
  14. Andy Ring

Ebay worked great! Just checked eBay. Found a brand new in box Grundfos UP15-10S for sale with comfort valve for $175 with free shipping. That was almost $75 cheaper than the next best option I had found. So, your advice was great (even if it was inadvertant). I am buying it and will let...
  15. Andy Ring

Pipes are inaccessible Gary, Thanks for the advice, but as HJ says, I cannot get to the pipes. The addition is made of concrete block added on to a brick townhouse. There is an inaccessible 1 foot tall crawl space below the addition (I can see in through a football sized hole from the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks