Recent content by Anderson

1. Anderson

New Expansion tank on hot water boiler - but still getting water overflow

Thank you. That was helpful. I walked through that sizing test, and I think it was overestimating the amount of water in my system (or I should have entered a smaller BTU/hr total), so I calculated the volume of my cast iron radiator system and piping (roughly 42 gallons). Based on that, I need...
  2. Anderson

Good point. In my case, the feed valve is in a line between the backflow valve and the expansion tank, so it would seem correctly located.
  3. Anderson

I will try that. I have an Amtrol Ex-15 and a Noritz NRCB199DV. I have wondered whether the tank is undersized for the capacity of the boiler.
  4. Anderson

John, thank you for your help. I will chase down each of those issues. One thing I've noticed is that as the boiler pressure reaches into the 20s, the top of the expansion tank begins to cool. My assumption there is that it stops being able to take on additional water, as if it's reached its...
  5. Anderson

I don't want to hijack this thread, but in case it's a similar issue, I'll note that in my case, it's the valve on the boiler loop. The system pressure and the expansion tank are both set to 12 (two-story house). The pressure reducing valve on the auto feed line is also set to 12, as close as I...
  6. Anderson

Excellent diagram. Did you ever figure this out? I am having a similar problem in my system. All seems to be working fine, but nonetheless the pressure in the system builds to 25+ after an hour or so, tripping the boiler relief valve.
  7. Anderson

Does the 10-foot vent/window distance account for eaves?

That is correct. However, I want to make sure I get it right the first time, no matter how the inspector interprets the rules, so I decided just to move it about 3-4 feet farther from the window.
  8. Anderson

Excellent, thank you. In my case, the pipe will not terminate 3 feet above the window in question, so I am moving it farther away.
  9. Anderson

Thank you for the explanation! I did not know that. Now I do. :)
  10. Anderson

Thank you, Wayne. In that case, for anyone else reading this, the distance to my window would be something like 12 feet, if I were to measure that way? I've already bugged my inspector about a few other things related to this project, so I think I will just move the vent down along the roof to...
  11. Anderson

A question under the UPC, which has a 10-foot requirement for vent distance from an operable window: 906.2: Each vent shall terminate not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) from, or not less than 3 feet (914 mm) above, an openable window, door, opening, air intake, or vent shaft, or not less than 3...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks