Recent content by alt

1. A

Basement bathroom remodel; tub insulation, heating/cooling?

We have a full bathroom in our basement which we are planning to remodel. New tub, new tile (floor and tub surround), new faucets, etc. The room is mostly below grade, but there is a small window just above grade near the top of the tub wall. The long side of the tub is directly agains the...
  2. A

Changing slope of pipes under concrete, or just fix the base?

Thanks. We have some other plumbing issues to be looked into, I think we will have them look at this before we do anything but I'm guessing it will be cost-prohibitive to tear out all the concrete around the pipes and start over. Pouring a new pedestal for the toilet to sit on seems the way to...
  3. A

Changing slope of pipes under concrete, or just fix the base?

Sorry this is kind of long, but here is the backstory: The toilet in our basement bathroom sits on a concrete pedestal approximately 2" above the tile floor. According to the previous owners, who installed this bathroom in the previously unfinished basement just prior to our purchase one...
  4. A

What did I do wrong?

Thanks everyone. We've found out that one of our new neighbors is a licensed electrician, and he is going to come and take a look for us. We will definitely be buying a multimeter to have on hand, but I'm happy to have him help out with this one.
  5. A

What did I do wrong?

Thanks, I will. Any recommendations for an electrician in Salt Lake City, UT?
  6. A

What did I do wrong?

Hm. The breaker seems to be working smoothly. We're stumped. I guess it's time to call in a pro.
  7. A

What did I do wrong?

Unless something happened to all three of the other light fixtures at the same time to blow out the bulbs (which are new), then they should be fine. I'll check them as well when I get home this evening.
  8. A

What did I do wrong?

Yes, I don't think it is the new fixture itself, because now none of the lights on that circuit will work, even with the new fixture removed. PEW, how can I tell if the breaker went bad? I'm pretty sure there is just one white and one black, but I will double-check when I get home...
  9. A

What did I do wrong?

One black and one white.
  10. A

What did I do wrong?

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. No, all of the lights tied to that circuit are operated by a single switch.
  11. A

What did I do wrong?

My spouse and I are in the process of fixing up our 1952 ranch home, and we've encountered an electrical problem (that we probably caused :) We replaced the old exterior lights on both the front and back porch with new motion-sensor fixtures. We turned off the power at the correct breaker...
  12. A

Undercutting baseboard?

Thanks all!
  13. A

Undercutting baseboard?

Just moved into our new house, and all the baseboard through the lower level of the home was installed flush with the concrete floor. Want to install carpet, but no space to tuck it in. Is it possible to somehow undercut the trim so as to make space for carpet? Not sure we have budget or time...
  14. A

Double-Tapping?

Sorry! I'll try to upload or link a picture of it so you can see what we've got.
  15. A

Double-Tapping?

During the home inspection of our new house (we close next week), the inspector showed us the electric meter and pointed out that it had been double-tapped when the central a/c unit was added (home built 1952, central a/c installed 2001). He said this was not up to code, and could cause arcing...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks