Recent content by alannaimee

1. alannaimee

Space heater cord hot

Evening folks, When unplugging the space heater cord, it was very hot, the plug itself and about 12- 16 inches down the cord...hotter toward the plug. It was turned off before unplugging. It's a 1500 watt heater, pulling 12.5 amps (using 120V). Is my math right, only .5 amps short of...
  2. alannaimee

2008 NEC/ Closet Lights

Gentlemen, I'm in the planning stage of opening up under the interior steps for storage/ closet area. I have a 2005 NEC, which says (if I'm reading right) that recessed fixtures are allowed as long as the bulb is enclosed. Anyone know if the 2008 NEC (which my city uses) allows the same...
  3. alannaimee

More tub spigot questions...

Guys, Thanks for the advice, ended up blocking the spigot and using a copper strap to secure it. Also blocked the mixing valve and used the mounting holes in it. Thanks again, Alan
  4. alannaimee

More tub spigot questions...

So I had to open up the wall behind my tub fixtures because of a spigot that wasn't secure. Not only is the spigot not secured to anything, neither is the valve, so I'll fix that too. A few questions: from the valve to the spigot is copper that 90's forward thru the cutout into the...
  5. alannaimee

Tub spigot

Was able to get a small inspection mirror inside the valve cutout. The spigot is fed with copper as is the showerhead from the valve with both supplies being PEX. However, there is no blocking anywhere. Not behind the valve, not behind the spigot. Couldn't tell about the showerhead. Guess...
  6. alannaimee

Tub spigot

I have a tub spigot that isn't snug to the surround and even has some play when the plunger for the shower is activated (the plunger is in the spigot). House is plumbed with PEX. Going to attempt to correct this, but I have a few questions: I cannot locate a set screw for the spigot so I...
  7. alannaimee

Tilted toilet.. to replace or not replace.. that is the Question!!

Just a DIYer here, but a few things come to mind. Unlevel tile floor, loose flange bolts. I had one with the same prob, my tile floor is unlevel. The toilet is easy to remove to investigate. TURN OFF THE WATER at the valve near the back (to the right). Flush the toilet to drain the tank...
  8. alannaimee

New exterior receptacle in old brick wall

Just finished this myself using a masonry bit and cold chisel as Billy Bob suggested. Probably took a bit longer than the other methods described here, but the end result is the same.
  9. alannaimee

Vent Stack Support

Afternoon all, I have a 1960 edition house with about a 50- 50 mix of cast/ pvc drain plumbing, with a vent stack that resembles galvanized pipe. Due to some cast deterioration (flaking into the vent line), I'm considering replacing all the cast in the spring. Questions: Is there a...
  10. alannaimee

Electrical/ plumbing in same stud bay

While planning to change the bath vanity and center it up on the wall, I have found that it will require the water lines (Pex) to be in the same stud bay (not sure if that's the right term) with a receptacle that feeds the bedroom opposite the bathroom. Is this code legal? If so, are there...
  11. alannaimee

Vents Resolved

After a couple of hours yesterday, I have resolved the problem of my clogged vent stack. It was about 12 inches up the stack of rust scale packed in. I tried to post a picture but can't get it compressed enough. Anyway thanks for the direction. Alan
  12. alannaimee

Vent Issues continued...

HJ- The snake was a "Mini Rooter." (1/3 HP) I put about 15 feet into the stack before it wouldn't go any further. That is right about the place in the line where it has a 45 into the main drain line. Not a plumber, but I thought those snakes would get through anything. Thanks again.
  13. alannaimee

Vent Issues continued...

A few weeks ago I posted about a slow drain and you guys suggested snaking my main vent stack to clear the blockage. I was able to do that today and here are my results and more questions. After 2 and a half hours with the snake, I was unable to clear the stack. When I started, the snake...
  14. alannaimee

Venting questions

Thanks to the folks who took the time to answer. You've confirmed what I thought. Will get to it this weekend, and let you know how it goes. Alan
  15. alannaimee

Venting questions

Good evening all. During the course of troubleshooting a suspected vent issue, I went to the roof and put the running garden hose down the vent. In about 10 seconds or so, the water was coming out of the vent. I know for sure the main drain is clear. I'm not a plumber, so can this happen...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks