Recent content by Al G.

1. Al G.

Bathroom electrical

Thanks for all the replies. My fan/light is outside the shower area so no issue there. I also checked all the shower lights in the rest of the house (built in 2004) and none of them are GFCI protected. I guess I was concerned about nothing.
  2. Al G.

Bathroom electrical

Actually, I thought I read it here. Maybe it was somewhere else, but I definitely found different views. The installation instructions for the light in the shower don't say it has to be GFCI protected. Maybe the simplest solution is to not protect anything beyond the outlet.
  3. Al G.

Bathroom electrical

I'm planning the circuit for a new basement bathroom. I have a 20 amp circuit dedicated to just this bathroom. I have a 4-gang box with switches for a vanity light, shower light, exhaust fan and light built into the exhaust fan. My understanding is that the shower light needs to be...
  4. Al G.

Who Builds a Shower Pan

Thanks for the responses and the education on the responsibilities of the plumber and tile setter. I know what I need to look for now.
  5. Al G.

Who Builds a Shower Pan

I'm tearing out a preformed shower and want to replace it with a custom mud base pan. I don't think the drain needs to move but I suspect the connection needs to be different. Should I be looking for a plumber or tile setter to make sure the drain is correct and to build the pan? I'm going to...
  6. Al G.

conductor length

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was 6" outside the box.
  7. Al G.

Linear Drain

I want to put a linear drain in a new shower but the existing drain location requires an outlet offset to one end. The only offset design I've found is Kerdi. The dimensions on that are perfect but I'm wondering if anyone else has an offset design.
  8. Al G.

conductor length

I know conductors have to be long enough to extend 6" beyond the face of the wall box. Is that measured on the conductors entering the box or does it include the pigtails added for connection to the devices?
  9. Al G.

Basement HVAC

Why didn't you just say that in your first response? I came here and asked what kind of effort I should expect to see in preparing a quote for my job. I'm not experienced in this area and wanted to know if quick solutions such as those two contractors proposed were the industry norm for this...
  10. Al G.

Basement HVAC

11. Al G.

Basement HVAC

How is this my own fault? I selected two reputable contractors in my area. It's not like I found some guy on the street and asked for a quote. Also, I'm not asking them to share any calculations. Both of them stood there in the basement with me and sketched out register locations, duct sizes...
  12. Al G.

Basement HVAC

I've had two well-known HVAC contractors quote installing ducts for my basement finishing project. I have a hybrid heat pump/propane furnace for heating and cooling. Both contractors looked over the job site, looked at the manufacturer labels on the equipment and proceeded to sketch out their...
  13. Al G.

Wet Bar Outlets

I asked my inspector what he wants to see. He said the wine cooler under the counter does not require GFI protection since the receptacle will not be accessible. He said the same thing about the microwave that's going in a wall cabinet. He said that meets the current code in my jurisdiction...
  14. Al G.

Wet Bar Outlets

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't know what I thought was a simple question would generate so much discussion. I think I'll ask my local inspector what he requires when I go for the permit. And yes, it is a finished basement.
  15. Al G.

Wet Bar Outlets

I'm installing a wet bar in my basement. The bar will be about 10 feet long with a sink about 3 feet from one end. I'll be installing three outlets above the counter, all GFCI protected. There will be a wine cooler below the counter about 3 feet from the sink. It will have an outlet in the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks