Recent content by aarpcard

1. aarpcard

Expansion tank for gravity heating system. What is this in my attic?

Yep, built in 1908. Having only ever hear about these and never actually seen one, I was surprised to see it had two pipes going to it.
  2. aarpcard

Expansion tank for gravity heating system. What is this in my attic?

The house was built in 1908. We still have the original hot water radiators in use. There is a very, old (probably original) expansion tank in the basement. I just found this in the attic behind a removable panel in the wall. What is it? It has a large 1 1/2" pipe going into the top of it...
  3. aarpcard

Can't get heat to last 3 radiators on loop. Circulator pump?

@Dana , @fitter30 Thanks for the replies. I definitely have some reading and research to do. To answer your questions: -The problem zones are all piped into the basement. They are the farthest 3 radiators on the parallel 4" distribution mains. The mains are indeed pitched, so these three...
  4. aarpcard

Below is the layout of the system at the main boiler. The two circuits of 4" black pipe run the perimeter of the basement - at least 120 feet each. Below is the singular circulator pump for the original/black pipe circuit. Maybe it is undersized or degraded? Below is the pump for the...
  5. aarpcard

Thanks Everyone for the replies. I didn't find any monoflow valves in the system. The 1st floor kitchen/3rd floor bath radiator circuit is plumbed with 3/4" copper pipe. The rest of the circuit is a two pipe system with 4" black pipe running a loop around the basement. 1.25" black pipe or...
  6. aarpcard

Yep, this has always been a problem. All three do squirt about the same water as the others, however the 2nd floor bath radiator is a bit weaker (however there are weaker radiators elsewhere in the loop that don't have the heating issue). I have tried closing off the majority of the other...
  7. aarpcard

Hello All, I'm not a trained plumber so forgive any mistakes on my part. I have (I think) a fairly complex hydronic heating system in my house. The majority of the system is 112 years old comprising of large cast iron radiators and black pipe. I believe this system was originally 2-pipe...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks