Sanitary Tee on Back in DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbnut

Reaction score
I have read that a san. tee must be installed with the main run in the vertical postion. I read this after I installed the 2" sanitary tees shown in the attached picture. If these are not right, what do I need to replace them with? Also, the washing machine stand pipe is causing me grief. I am doubtful about the dry fit arrangement shown in the picture. Thanks for any enlightenment the plumbing community can provide - Steven Harrison.

Attachments

• P1010107.jpg
    P1010107.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 19,526

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
abs_combo_right.jpg

The washer needs a combo on the horizontal.

abs_santee.jpg

Then a vertical santee, with an arm for the p-trap
Above the vertical santee, a santee picking up the vent for the revent.

What you have is something like a funny illegal S trap

The video explains why you can't use horizontal santees, but it also applies to receiving waste from the vertical too.

index.php

Last edited:

plumbnut

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer and explanation Terry. That helps alot. Grumpy, I'm at the beach in Alabama - definitely not looking for any plumbers or anybody else in California.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Looks alot like another job a guy was looking around for a plumber on.
I tried to find him one, but couldn't.
As far as the setup on your pic, Terry's dead on, that trap needs a vent run right where it goes vertical, the Tee-wye needs to be a long sweep..a combo wye or a wye with a 45 into it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You do not have a legal washer drain, and why are those other 3 lines connecting between the drain and the vent? If they are going to be drains then they are using the wrong fittings, and if not, then they are not needed.

plumbnut

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment HJ -

the other runs are revents for the washing machine and a utility sink (ell at right end will stub out to p-trap on the utility sink). I am new to plumbing and decided to try to vent all traps rather than rely on proximity to a main or secondary vent stack. Overkill I supose. Yes, the washing machine stand pipe is wrong and I intend to take Terry's advice and get it right. Will the extra vents hurt anything or are they merely redundant? Thanks again.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
No just change the stand pipe S trap. Just cut the trap into the vent that seems to be for that trap anyways looks to be the one to the left of the S trap. Other than that looks ok.

plumbnut

Reaction score
Thanks Markts30,

That is a really nice set of graphics and it makes things real clear - the only question it brings up is the green arrow pointing to the "Y" and fitting - do I have the wrong one on the 3" drain/vent stack? Steven Harrison.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
The green arrow marked "Y" is simply the Y in the X/Y/Z co-ordinate system of AutoCad..
It has nothing to do with the plumbing...
That fitting can be a SanTee, Combo or figure fitting, it makes no difference...
Your fitting there is fine...

plumbnut

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing up that little mystery - it just goes to show even a great illustration can be problematic to a novice such as myself.

OldHouse59

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing up that little mystery - it just goes to show even a great illustration can be problematic to a novice such as myself.

I know this thread is old but it's still a common topic.

I noticed one thing that nobody commented on that does not look right to me. If the drain arm from the trap on his laundry sink is going straight into the stub out 90 on the right end, that would put his sink trap below the level of the horizontal drain pipe. If so, would that be OK or legal?

Shouldn't all traps draining into a horizontal line be above that line?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; If the drain arm from the trap on his laundry sink is going straight into the stub out 90 on the right end, that would put his sink trap below the level of the horizontal drain pipe. If so, would that be OK or legal?

Perfectly legal. There NO requirement that a trap be above a horizontal line. In fact, if it were "above that line" without an intervening vent THEN it would be illegal. As shown in the picture the two vents on either side of the 3" riser have absolutely NO function.

Derrickc

Reaction score
abs_combo_right.jpg

The washer needs a combo on the horizontal.

abs_santee.jpg

Then a vertical santee, with an arm for the p-trap
Above the vertical santee, a santee picking up the vent for the revent.

What you have is something like a funny illegal S trap

A good video of what happens with you try to dump waste down a santee on it's back.

What happened to the video?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What happened to the video?

Looks to be gone. I just replaced it with something a little similar though.
What the original video showed though, was that waste would hit and go both directions, not guided downward at all.
For that, you need a wye or combo fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks