Pre-hung door question

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
Odd pre-hung door question. I have a hallway that leads to a room and I want to put a door there. One the left side the hall wall ends at the beginning of the room. Can a pre-hung door frame be attached to the wall without framing a door opening? The knob would be on that side and I would attach the jamb to the wall on that side. I know the trim would be very small just covering the jamb and any shims. If I frame that side it will drop the door size down. No frame on that side I can fit a 28" pre-hung door as the opening will be 30".
Would that work out? I know the trim would look odd, I can order a 26" then I could frame that side.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If its only a matter of asthetics, and you don't mind how the trim looks, go with the bigger door.

There is a product called the Knob Gobbler that is basically a cup recessed in the wall where the handle would hit. It allows the door to open more fully in a tight fitting space like you're describing. I don't have a link for it, but i've seen them installed on some of our remodel projects.

Eman85

Reaction score
I found the knob gobbler, pretty simple idea and very functional on interior walls. Thanks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cool, my contractor whose job I saw that on sent me that link yesterday too. Only one I could find for them.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The thing they made wasn't rocket science (my GF is a rocket scientist, so i get to say that)

or

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the jamb is fully fastened it doesn't necessarily need a king stud on both sides. The lighter the slab the better in this case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks