Water Testing - Sealing Toilet Flange in Slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul E.

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I have a brass toilet flange set into a concrete slab that I need to seal off in order to water test my drain lines. I have a 4" gripper plug in there at the moment, but it looks like the lead(?) lining isn't going to seal to the plug tight enough. What can I do to make this setup water tight?

FJWn1fL.jpg

36sTvDf.jpg

tJ8edun.jpg

Paul E.

Reaction score
Jeff, that's an easy enough solution! Something like this?

818tORQw3CL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have a second toilet, about 5 feet away, that is connected to this line. Should that be removed and plugged before the water test? It seems like the built in trap would be overpowered once the water in the lines starts to rise. I am planning on filling from the roof vent.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why are you testing old existing work with water? Theres a LOT of places you could have a leak and never see it under the slab.

Yes, you will need to plug the other closet flange too.

Make sure to get your test balloons down past the lead or you could expand the lead under the slab.. You don't want to make any added holes to that system.

Paul E.

Reaction score
Why are you testing old existing work with water? Theres a LOT of places you could have a leak and never see it under the slab.

Yes, you will need to plug the other closet flange too.

Make sure to get your test balloons down past the lead or you could expand the lead under the slab.. You don't want to make any added holes to that system.

I am replacing the cast iron plumbing traps in the two bathrooms. I don't think there's enough room to add a test tee between the new p-trap and the existing cast iron I am tying into. Here's a shot of the new pvc tie in.

g4ge6aY.jpg

In order to water test the new traps, I think I will have to plug the downstream two way clean out in the yard. The two toilets tie into the mainline, which is why I am trying to figure out how to plug. I am worried the existing lines will not be leak free, but uncertain what else to do.

LZZPlfL.jpg

Is there an inflatable plug that I could get downstream of a 2" PVC trap? Then I wouldn't have to worry about all the potential leaks in the existing lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks