Water Damage - Source of Water?

Users who are viewing this thread

C317414

Reaction score
Hello,

We were gone from our home for a few months. We arrived yesterday to a dry, but water-damaged hardwood floor in the kitchen. It is obvious that water sat on the floor for a while. While we were gone, we had the water turned off. Outside temperatures dropped below freezing a number of times, but the furnace was set to 60F. There's no evidence of a leak in the sink cabinet.

I turned on the water, and did not find any for leaks under the sink, and do not see water coming from anywhere. The house has two stories, and there is no evidence of a water leak in the ceiling of the kitchen, the walls, or the ceiling of the room above it.

I am stumped! Does anyone have suggestions of what to check next?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you happen to live anywhere near the shipyard? I've heard that when the navy discharges the waste from their vessels it can overflow the sewage system. Any evidence of an overflowing drain anywhere? You would typically see it in the lowest fixture like a tub or a shower. Could the moisture have been caused by some form of condensation in a crawls space?

C317414

Reaction score
Do you happen to live anywhere near the shipyard? I've heard that when the navy discharges the waste from their vessels it can overflow the sewage system. Any evidence of an overflowing drain anywhere? You would typically see it in the lowest fixture like a tub or a shower. Could the moisture have been caused by some form of condensation in a crawls space?
The only drain in the kitchen is in the sink, and there's no evidence of a backup. The floor has clear evidence that water sat on top of it, so I do not think this was cased by moisture in the crawl-space related. In any case, I plan on going down in the crawlspace later today.

Thanks.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
undersink R/O system with airgap faucet? those get a plug and spit water on top of counter

C317414

Reaction score
Sorry I missed part you said you turned off water.
No heavy rain or snow
There was heavy rain and snow, but I see no evidence of a water leak on the ceiling, or the ceiling of the room above it. Later today I'm going to pull out the stove, and the dishwasher to check for evidence that the roof may have leaked, and water traveled inside the wall.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wondering if related to a water heater T&P Relief valve.
Well its been a year dont think we will find out, but some other guy from india promoting his own buisness I guess got it started again.

BlondIffy

Reaction score
Adding water lines and drains to plumbing fixtures in your MEP plans is totally doable. In Chief Architect, you can create custom fixtures with associated plumbing and drains on separate layers. This way, when you place a fixture, it automatically includes the necessary plumbing elements.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks