Kitchen sink slow drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I would tend toward the first one, based on Yelp.
Both are good with BBB.

Here is a tip. Don't be afraid to leave a message. A one- or two-man shop can do good work without an office staff.

Last edited:

Bucknut

Reaction score
I would tend toward the first one, based on Yelp.
Both are good with BBB.

Here is a tip. Don't be afraid to leave a message. A one- or two-man shop can do good work without an office staff.

Reach4,

Thank you for your reply. I went with your suggestion and chose "Dayton Sewer & Drain." On Dec 16, 2022, the employee corrected the slow kitchen-drain issue; he used a 110-Volt portable handheld plumbing snake auger (with the general purpose tool attached to the cable).

The receipt states "30 ft normal stoppage", so I assume he needed 30 ft of snake. He said the root cause was soap grease.

Unfortunately, the drain is starting to backup again -- and the 30-day warranty expired 53 days ago. I'm not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
The receipt states "30 ft normal stoppage", so I assume he needed 30 ft of snake. He said the root cause was soap grease.

Unfortunately, the drain is starting to backup again -- and the 30-day warranty expired 53 days ago. I'm not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is this kitchen over a basement?
Does the drain pipe go down thru the basement into the basement floor?

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a photo under the sink that shows the drains and the entry into the wall.

Also, if there is a vent pipe over the kitchen, somebody could rod down that while you run water in the kitchen sink. If your roof is steep, that would be harder. A look into the attic for the vent path could be interesting.

Bucknut

Reaction score
How about a photo under the sink that shows the drains and the entry into the wall.

Also, if there is a vent pipe over the kitchen, somebody could rod down that while you run water in the kitchen sink. If your roof is steep, that would be harder. A look into the attic for the vent path could be interesting.

Reach4, per your request, please see photo below taken under the sink:

Attachments

• B2D6A0DD-2C57-4E0F-BC27-B98919E33E36_adobe_express.jpeg
    B2D6A0DD-2C57-4E0F-BC27-B98919E33E36_adobe_express.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 101

Reach4

Reaction score
The reason I had asked for the photo is to see if there was going to be a way to snake the drain while water was running.

If you have somebody snake from the roof because there is a vent right above, then they could use a bigger snake, and you could run water. Much better than a 1/4 inch snake from under the sink.

For DIY snaking, take a look at Ridgid Powerspin Plus. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/trouble-snaking-bathtub-drain.95143/#post-684357

With my lavatory drain, snaking thru the trap, there was no problem running water. Your layout does not seem to offer that as a possibility.

I expect we already established that the drain pipe was not accessible from below. I am picturing that you put a shallow tub under your drain stuff to catch spillage, pull the trap, and snake thru the opening. You hope the snake goes down, rather than up. A 1/4 inch snake is not likely to fully clean the path, but maybe expect to do that occasionally.

That disposal sure looks vintage.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some people temporarily rework the piping under sink putting a wye in and 45 ing up to allow water to run. Ive got a pressure washer type jetter Ive only used it on yard drains , though Im an experianced plumber I steer clear of drain clearing except my own and a few jobs I dont know all the tricks But I did do a kitchen like this yesterday I used tons of water and ran snake in and out for a long time . I will say people (women) wont listen they dump pots full of everything down kitchen and grease too , they always deny too.

Bucknut

Reaction score
The reason I had asked for the photo is to see if there was going to be a way to snake the drain while water was running.

If you have somebody snake from the roof because there is a vent right above, then they could use a bigger snake, and you could run water. Much better than a 1/4 inch snake from under the sink.

For DIY snaking, take a look at Ridgid Powerspin Plus. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/trouble-snaking-bathtub-drain.95143/#post-684357

With my lavatory drain, snaking thru the trap, there was no problem running water. Your layout does not seem to offer that as a possibility.

I expect we already established that the drain pipe was not accessible from below. I am picturing that you put a shallow tub under your drain stuff to catch spillage, pull the trap, and snake thru the opening. You hope the snake goes down, rather than up. A 1/4 inch snake is not likely to fully clean the path, but maybe expect to do that occasionally.

That disposal sure looks vintage.
Reach4,

Thanks again for the reply. To be able to run water while I snake the drain, what if I remove the vertical and horizontal pipes from the non-disposal sink then slowly run water down the disposal side?

Bucknut

Reaction score
Some people temporarily rework the piping under sink putting a wye in and 45 ing up to allow water to run. Ive got a pressure washer type jetter Ive only used it on yard drains , though Im an experianced plumber I steer clear of drain clearing except my own and a few jobs I dont know all the tricks But I did do a kitchen like this yesterday I used tons of water and ran snake in and out for a long time . I will say people (women) wont listen they dump pots full of everything down kitchen and grease too , they always deny too.
JHY,

Thanks for responding. Was this a soap-grease clog? Did you use a 1/4" snake? Was the general purpose head used or an arrow head or u-shaped grease tool?

And how many times would you estimate you ran the snake in and out?

My wife was extremely careful with what she put down the drain the last 10 weeks since the drain was supposedly "cleared."

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
JHY,

Thanks for responding. Was this a soap-grease clog? Did you use a 1/4" snake? Was the general purpose head used or an arrow head or u-shaped grease tool?

And how many times would you estimate you ran the snake in and out?

My wife was extremely careful with what she put down the drain the last 10 weeks since the drain was supposedly "cleared."
Hi Bucknut, I used a 3/8 inch cable the tip was flat metal in shape of an arrow head rounded corners there is another tip thats like a spear tip. I ran my snake back and forth about a 5 foot section about around 10 times. In this case the clean out was on an outside wall a mess of spaghetti all over ground. The guy I cleared it for said he had someone clear it a month or so ago its all plastic 35 years old under a slab around a 25 or 30 foot run of 2 inch till it joins a 3 inch main
Im kidding a bit about everyone lying about what they put down drains I try to be careful

Bucknut

Reaction score
Hi Bucknut, I used a 3/8 inch cable the tip was flat metal in shape of an arrow head rounded corners there is another tip thats like a spear tip. I ran my snake back and forth about a 5 foot section about around 10 times. In this case the clean out was on an outside wall a mess of spaghetti all over ground. The guy I cleared it for said he had someone clear it a month or so ago its all plastic 35 years old under a slab around a 25 or 30 foot run of 2 inch till it joins a 3 inch main
Im kidding a bit about everyone lying about what they put down drains I try to be careful
JHY,

Thanks for the pro tips!

Unfortunately, the only tip-end I have is the standard coiled design.

I'm not sure of the best way to use it to remove soap grease that's probably on the walls of the pipe.

Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bucknut

Reaction score
Reach4,

Thanks again for the reply. To be able to run water while I snake the drain, what if I remove the vertical and horizontal pipes from the non-disposal sink then slowly run water down the disposal side?
Reach4 and others,

A reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

royalflush001

Reaction score
Try pouring hot water followed by baking soda and vinegar. wait for some time and wash off the solution. Also, you check your garbage disposal once. I hope this will work. A good drain cleaner will also work wonders.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks