Two shower heads with PexA

Users who are viewing this thread

Jetboy55

Reaction score
I'm starting to get serious about my bathroom remodel planning. I have decided to replumb the bathroom with Pex-A, and I can borrow a Milwaukee expander from a friend. (shower only, no tub). I have 70psi water pressure. So I am going to install two shower valves with two shower heads, as suggested in this forum. I think I will install 3/4 supply from water heater to the bathroom. Then 1/2 inch from directly below the shower up to the shower valves, and up to the lavatory. Does that sound proper for operating both shower heads at the same time?
Also, is there any specific type of shower valves that I should use in this situation? I want 1 of the shower valves to also supply a tub spout, for filling buckets, ect.... even though there will be no tub.
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you intend that the tub spout be a diverter spout, or will you have that selection made with a valve? Valve would be better.

Jetboy55

Reaction score
If valve would be better, than I can go that route. I have never used that kind of valve, so I don't know how it works or what it looks like. Are you talking about some type of tub/shower valve that doesn't require a diverter in the tub spout?

Reach4

Reaction score
Diverter spouts dribble-- some more than others. With a diverter spout, taking a shower with the showerhead associated with the spout would require a fairly unusual operation. Would you anticipate always using both showerheads simultaneously?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any 1/2" supply line should be in turn supplied from your 3/4" line. Don't supply 1/2"with 1/2".

Delta r 10000 rough valve. You can get them with pex inlets. They are good, easy to fix, and have plenty of variability for different uses. You can get one that is shower only and one for tub/shower. Or you can get two tub/shower rough valves and plug the tub outlet on one.

Jetboy55

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I've never purchased a rough valve before, not even sure where to purchase it. Anyway, will that valve supply a diverter type spout?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I've never purchased a rough valve before, not even sure where to purchase it. Anyway, will that valve supply a diverter type spout?
I think you want to avoid a diverter type spout for this purpose.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you want to avoid a diverter type spout for this purpose.
Second this opinion. If the tub spout is only going to be used intermittently and only for buckets... Or "foot washing" if an inspector asks.. Then I wouldn't want it to be a diverter style spout, but rather a diverter style valve. I also recommend the Delta R22000 valve coupled with a 14 or 17 series trim (example here). 14 is a pressure balance version, 17 is the thermostatic version.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Second this opinion. If the tub spout is only going to be used intermittently and only for buckets... Or "foot washing" if an inspector asks.. Then I wouldn't want it to be a diverter style spout, but rather a diverter style valve. I also recommend the Delta R22000 valve coupled with a 14 or 17 series trim (example here). 14 is a pressure balance version, 17 is the thermostatic version.
I think bucket filling with the r22000 will be disappointingly slow.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think bucket filling with the r22000 will be disappointingly slow.
Depends on the expectation. Lots of folks in apartments would be filling theirs from a sink faucet at 1.8 to 2.5gpm. I just think that if the use is going to be primarily shower and not even installed in a tub, then the best option is to slightly sacrifice tub spout flow and do away with the diverter spout.

R22000 gpm rates
1677780673648.png

vs R10000 gpm... BTW.. Ignore the HF valve ratings below as those are shower only valves.
index.php

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depends on the expectation. Lots of folks in apartments would be filling theirs from a sink faucet at 1.8 to 2.5gpm. I just think that if the use is going to be primarily shower and not even installed in a tub, then the best option is to slightly sacrifice tub spout flow and do away with the diverter spout.

R22000 gpm rates
View attachment 91123
vs R10000 gpm... BTW.. Ignore the HF valve ratings below as those are shower only valves.
index.php
In the r22000 literature I believe it said in bold r22000 for shower only. Which I take to mean no tub filler should be used on it. I assumed the flow would be disappointing, but maybe it's just plain performance. Meaning does it cause drip from the shower head or cause the diverter to move when using a tub filler?

Jetboy55

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I agree that going without a diverter in the tub spout is the way to go. But back to one of my orignial
questions, will 3/4 PEX-A to the lav, then 1/2 PEX-A to the fixtures give me enough flow to supply two standard shower heads (not rainfall or anything). My PSI is 70. Thanks.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I agree that going without a diverter in the tub spout is the way to go. But back to one of my orignial
questions, will 3/4 PEX-A to the lav, then 1/2 PEX-A to the fixtures give me enough flow to supply two standard shower heads (not rainfall or anything). My PSI is 70. Thanks.
Yes, if you look back at one of my orignial comments you'll see that each 1/2" line needs to be supplied from the 3/4"line. The way your wording it makes it seem like your trying to supply two showers (possibly a toilet) with 1/2".

Jetboy55

Reaction score
Sorry, I mean that the lav will be supplied with 3/4, and each individual fixture will get it's own 1/2 inch supply from the 3/4. The fixtures will be lav sink, toilet, shower head, 2nd shower head, and the laundry hookups in the adjoining room.
A quick look seems to show that each R22000 (with trim and a cartridge) will cost something like $300 each. Does that seem right? Is so, it might be over my budget for two shower valves.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a better way to say it is that a tee or manifold will be supplied by 3/4 and each individual fixture will get it's own 1/2 inch supply.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A quick look seems to show that each R22000 (with trim and a cartridge) will cost something like $300 each. Does that seem right? Is so, it might be over my budget for two shower valves.
those are more expensive. My girlfriends house has a tub spout that is broken and diverts straight away to the shower head. I wonder if there is a tub spout purposefully broken at the factory, that you have to divert to the spout?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks