Wet venting basement fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

PipePatrol

Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing my basement. Relocating roughs for toilet/lav and adding a shower drain. I need to tie back in an existing branch from upper levels and 2 fixtures: Upper level kitchen sink, and floor drain.

There are no other branches/fixtures downstream of what is pictured
The 4" run to city will be below a bathroom wall, 2" dry vents will be in wall
The 4" clean-out, floor drain, and tie-in from upper level kitchen sink will be located in an unfinished utility closet.
The 3" branch from upper levels is a horizontal run to opposite side of adjacent bedroom where it picks up the 3" vertical stack from upper levels.

My questions are:
1) Can the floor drain be wet vented from the lav sink?
2) Is the 2" dry vent for the shower/toilet okay being off the main 4" even though I have a sink drain upstream?
(the bathroom sink is already vented in the upper level)

Screenshot from 2023-02-25 16-27-25.png

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
That will not fly. Draw a floor plan with wall locations, existing plumbing, new plumbing fixture locations and if your willing to cut out the existing concrete floor. Include dimensions of everything, fixture locations and drain and vents.
Good plumbers on here will help steer you in the right direction, just need some more details.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
As far as I can see, the only problem is where the 2" upstairs kitchen sink drain connects to the 4" line. Move that connection downstream of the floor drain, and the wet venting is OK.

Cheers, Wayne

PipePatrol

Reaction score
As far as I can see, the only problem is where the 2" upstairs kitchen sink drain connects to the 4" line. Move that connection downstream of the floor drain, and the wet venting is OK.

Cheers, Wayne

The 2" upstairs kitchen sink is my hang up. The 4" main line is perpendicular to the back basement wall where the 2" upper level sink comes down from. I would have to cut about 12' more of foundation to get that 2" kitchen sink to tie in downstream of the floor drain. And I'm pretty sure I'll run into footings.

I suppose I could take the kitchen sink and run it overhead since behind the bathroom wall will all be unfinished. Not ideal but it is what it is.

Is there any obvious way to re-work my diagram to tie the kitchen sink in further upstream? The closer I can get it to the clean-out would be ideal.

PipePatrol

Reaction score
Screenshot from 2023-02-26 14-16-43.png

Nearly the same layout as earlier, only I'll run my 2" sink drain from the upper level overhead through the unfinished utility closet so I can tie it in downstream. That will save me cutting an additional 12' or so of foundation.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there any obvious way to re-work my diagram to tie the kitchen sink in further upstream? The closer I can get it to the clean-out would be ideal.
Basically no.

I'm unclear on what is existing and what is new. If the 4" line is new, then you could run a 2" kitchen sink line alongside it. But I gather from your comments the 4" line is existing and you want to minimize the sub slab work. Then running the 2" kitchen sink line overhead to tie in downstream is the way to go.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks