What product to replace under sink, dual stop compression fit on Pex A?

Users who are viewing this thread

CBme

Reaction score
Water alarms went off last night letting me know that the only stops I hadn't replaced had started failing. I've already replaced all the crappy multi-turn angle stops in our ~22 year old place with 1/4 turn Dahl compression fit stops but they were all on copper stub-outs. I hesitated on replace these under the kitchen sink that were directly attached to my PEX A as I couldn't decide what to use, and no Dahl or Brasscraft KT product seemed like 1:1 replacement, but I have run out of time.

The part that is throwing me is that they used compression fit connections and I don't see those being a listed product for Pex currently (and I wouldn't prefer them anyway as the neighbor's popped off a few years in). Builder's finish people were terrible, so I'm not sure if this is a thing. I don't have a Pex A expansion tool but do have a compression rings and crimper so I thinking of just finding some Pex B style stops but can't seem to find a straight replacement. For the dual stop, I don't care that much if it is a dual stop or single stop with dual out. I'd prefer not building a multi-piece solution if there is a good single part that I can't seem to locate.
I'd appreciate any recommendations!

Attachments

• 20230208_095123.jpg
    20230208_095123.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 20230208_095114.jpg
    20230208_095114.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 150

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I would recommend using Sharkbite type push on x male threaded adapters, then screw on Dahl or other reputable brand.
It is a completely pathetic stub out in pex that you have, but ....what ya gonna do?
Stub outs are ideally adapted to copper before exposing, that would have been ideal.

CBme

Reaction score
I would recommend using Sharkbite type push on x male threaded adapters, then screw on Dahl or other reputable brand.
It is a completely pathetic stub out in pex that you have, but ....what ya gonna do?
Stub outs are ideally adapted to copper before exposing, that would have been ideal.
I'm not keen on using sharkbite style products in permanent locations like this on the second floor where even a relatively minor leak would result in a huge repair effort, but I like the idea of considering an adapter to attach to the pex instead of just looking for dual valve (and single) that will work directly with it.

If you want to pretty up the stub outs, and provide a little extra rigidity, they make chrome plated sleeves that slide over 1/2" PEX. I've not actually used them, so I'm just assuming on the rigidity. E.g.

Cheers, Wayne
Interesting. That could make this spot look a bit less aesthetically janky (even though it is in a spot it can't been seen) but I'd be concerned about this looking bad/rusty in a few years like a lot of chrome plated escutcheon do.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont see a problem with a compression stop thats what my house has ? My issue at my house is there is no extra pex sticking out if I need to cut it for a fresh connection Im screwed . But youve got 6 inches to play with no problem buy an anglestop put it on . part number ktc1901dvx brass craft for the hot

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So can you use a general compression fitting on PEX? If so, what steps do you need to take to do so? E.g. use a stainless metal insert in the PEX to keep from crushing it, change the brass ferrule to plastic ferrule, etc.

Cheers, Wayne

CBme

Reaction score
If that were my home or I were selling you a service that I had to warranty, I would recommend crimping a PEX x MIP adapter and installing Threaded straight stop / Threaded double stops.
Thanks! That is what I'm looking at currently as I prefer to have a replaceable stop without needing to cut the pipe back further should it need to be replaced. I just had blinders on what I was looking for so I didn't even realize FIP/MIP connected stops existed.
I see that there are some brasscraft KT and Dahls but I do not see any double valve or single valve double outlet option so may need to look at a T and two separate valves.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score

CBme

Reaction score
No name brands might be just fine but do cause some concern due to the unknowns, especially as water is fear #1-5 in our house after all the issues we and my association neighbors have had. I don't see that thrifco part available to buy anywhere and for both parts, the companies that are selling them are US based but neither talk about where they are made.

I found that Dahl does sell a package that includes a pex crimp to dual mips adapter that would save one piece vs pex to single mips to a T but they didn't reply about anywhere that sells it locally and supplyhouse is backordered. They don't list that adapter separately.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found another one .. Crimp on valve with 2 outlets. Guess its not really replacable without cutting pipe tho.

Or perhaps a single straight stop with a stack on tee splitting the 3/8 outlet

Or another version of the Dahl setup..

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So can you use a general compression fitting on PEX? If so, what steps do you need to take to do so? E.g. use a stainless metal insert in the PEX to keep from crushing it, change the brass ferrule to plastic ferrule, etc.

Cheers, Wayne
Thats the way my home was built and many others. Ive replace anglestops mine has brass ferules and ss insert on the PEX.
I see the OP has compression stops on the PEX 22 years dont know what his complaint is just needed new angle stops I thought . mine too 22 years old Ive changed angle stops here just because they werent funtioning so good or I gutted and re modeled a bathroom

CBme

Reaction score
I went to local plumbing shops and no one had Brasscraft KT fips straight connection, only right angle. They didn't have any dahl or other quality brand/model either. One shop said they do carry the missing brasscraft part I was looking for but their overall stock of parts has been and is expected to continue to be low.
Then I found that supplyhouse had one of the multi-part dual shut-offs in stock, one with straight shut-off at top instead of the right angle that was backordered. As that will work, and nothing is available locally, I just ordered it and will go without hot water at the sink for another few day (I was able to shut off the valve and reduce the leak to only a few drips a day).

Attachments

• 20230214_170152 (Medium).jpg
    20230214_170152 (Medium).jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20230214_192509 (Medium).jpg
    20230214_192509 (Medium).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Pathetic but common … at least in my area.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is what it is Galvie stub outs copper , cpvc, or pex not the end of the world the worst are cpvc my opinion but the others are very workable. my pex stub outs I dont like but hardly a problem Id rather the whole house was copper but its not no big deal (yet).

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
It is what it is Galvie stub outs copper , cpvc, or pex not the end of the world the worst are cpvc my opinion but the others are very workable. my pex stub outs I dont like but hardly a problem Id rather the whole house was copper but its not no big deal (yet).

I agree … here is the last ones I did :)

Attachments

• EF6A9F99-F866-4E45-94EF-B5CFB06C54F4.jpeg
    EF6A9F99-F866-4E45-94EF-B5CFB06C54F4.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 182
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks