Move the toilet across the room - what am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

ScaredNewb69

Reaction score
Sewer gas isn't healthy. If you live with kids and a wife their health would be worth more than removing some drywall.
Allllllllright. This is crossing into a territory beyond plumbing. I'll talk to the plumber who will be doing a job in another room about a sewer gas check in the house, and get their professional opinion on whether it's necessary, and I appreciate your concern. Beyond that, I'm not interested in any more of your input at this point, thanks.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If the sewer smell only happens when you have not used the washer for 3 weeks, it could be the trap drying out in the dry weather.

ScaredNewb69

Reaction score
If the sewer smell only happens when you have not used the washer for 3 weeks, it could be the trap drying out in the dry weather.
Update

After hearing the input on vents, and seeing that there does appears to be a vent, or at least a roof penetration that looks like one in the adjacent laundry room, I'm thinking that adding what I guess is called a re-vent would be doable. Updated drawing below.

Existing drain in BLACK. New WC branch in ORANGE. Shower line is GREEN - that's one part I'm not sure about, since I can't see it, but I'm pretty sure it goes as shown. The bit between the old WC and the existing vent is a guess but I'd say I'm 90% sure.

The re vent would come off the vent stack in the ceiling at a straight tee, then travel across the ceiling void and drop through a partition wall next to the old toilet. It could join the drain there, using the old WC riser (stepped down obviously), I guess, but I'm reading elsewhere that I don't want the new WC riser more than 4 feet from the vent.

- Is vent sizing an issue? i was thinking 1.5" just to make it easy to get through the partition wall, which is 1x3.
- Is the re-vent a good solution here? Is rrunning the vent loop parallel to and at roughly the same height as the drain for a short distance kosher?

EDITED to correct 'loop vent' to re-vent.

Attachments

• Drawing.jpeg
    Drawing.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks