Install garbage disposal in double sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Capt Mat

Reaction score
sink_dw.jpg

You can use two p-traps, or pick up a "disposer kit" with a baffle tee that goes straight out from the disposal.

sink_dw_hot.jpg

disposer-piping-change-5.jpg

sink-replacement-terrylove-3.jpg
This is how my garbage disposal is plumbed and when I use it it backs up into the other side of the sink, any suggestions?

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
badger-5-install-01.jpg

A new basket.

badger-5-install-02.jpg

badger-5-install-03.jpg

badger-5-install-04.jpg

What are you guys doing for sinks that are manufactured THICK. If you're installing to a sink with thick material, the four bolts that secure the flange won't sink. Then when you try to lock it in, you can't get the disposal locked to the collar. We'll typically use a port-a-band and just cut about a quarter inch off the bolts so they'll sink properly. Kinda a pain in the butt. Do you guys use a different method?

- Mike
https://homeservicestriad.com/

Reach4

Reaction score
What are you guys doing for sinks that are manufactured THICK. If you're installing to a sink with thick material, the four bolts that secure the flange won't sink. Then when you try to lock it in, you can't get the disposal locked to the collar. We'll typically use a port-a-band and just cut about a quarter inch off the bolts so they'll sink properly. Kinda a pain in the butt. Do you guys use a different method?
Insinkerator offers an extended flange (10082)
https://insinkerator.emerson.com/en-us/shop/insinkerator/insinkerator-extssflange

Expensive. https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkE...nkErator-Garbage-Disposals-FLG-SSLG/100443440 is the cheapest I found.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
I've never use the extended flange. we just cut the four bolts a little shorter to make it work.
Better!

Actually, I did not know what a port-a-band was. I had been imagining something other than a cutting tool.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The better Insinkerator comes with both sets of bolts, short and standard.
Pro 880LT is one I've used. So quiet I have to remember it's on.

Matecarter55

Reaction score
I saw that diagram and thought it was helpful. The problem is that the disposal I have says that I should use separate drain traps for both sides. Why would you think that is required?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks