Shallow well hand pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel08

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone have any experience with the simple pump shallow well pump?
https://simplepump.com/our-pumps/hand-operated/shallow-well-suction-pump/

These are designed to tie into existing plumbing inside the basement and have the ability to pump pressure into the pressure tank which I like the idea of. Is it realistic to pump 30-40 lbs into the tank do you think that would take alot of effort? im trying to to decide between this and a regular pitcher pump installed in my basement.

My static is at 16ft, but would technically become 12 if installed in the basement

Thanks for any info you may have!

Bannerman

Reaction score
The manufacturer specifications seem to indicate the shallow model will lift 8.5 ounces per full stroke (handle up & down).
With 128 ounces per gallon, that will require 15 pump strokes per gallon.

The amount of pumping to fill your pressure tank will be dependant on the size of your pressure tank.

For example, a common 80 gallon diaphragm type pressure tank will hold approx 20 gallons between the pressure switch cut-in pressure of 30 psi, to the cutout pressure of 50 psi. With the usual air precharge pressure set at 28 psi, the tank will contain 0 water when the system pressure is below 28 psi, and water will only begin to enter the tank when the system pressure is 28 psi or above. At 8.5 ounces per manual pump stroke, it would require more than 300 pump strokes to fill a pressure tank that will hold 20 gallons. As the pumping force will need to overcome the back pressure building in the pressure tank, the pumping force needed will continue to increase as the system pressure builds.

How often per year do you experience loss of water due to power outage? Would a small gas powered generator power your exsisting well pump to provide peace of mind against loss of water due to power outage?

Daniel08

Reaction score
I want to have access to water without the need for electricity or fuel, which is why im installing a hand pump. The simple pump setup is about $1000 compared to $60 for a pitcher pump. Was just trying to figure oug if the features of the simple pump were usable in the real world or more of a gimick, because it's quite a price difference

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Unless you have a bunch of energetic kids or put a motor on it, having pressure is a luxury. Some hand pumps will not produce pressure but will pump more volume per stroke. Filling a tote or storage tank will give you access to water, just not pressure.

HalfWayHank

Reaction score
Hello I have a driven 2” well set to a depth of 34 ft we hoped to go deeper but had a pipe break 5 ft down and decided to put a riser clamp and mechanical coupler on to fix. In the process we got some sand and debris in the well, in an effort to purge this dirty water i purchased a reducing bell to go from 2” ——-> 1-1/4” slapped a short section of 1-1/4 and topped it off with a shallow well cast iron pitcher pump.

It did not lift water out of the well, this wasn’t a big surprise as it maybe an impossible task for this pump to draw off the 2” drop pipe we already had it installed on a shallow well point of the appropriate dimensions.

Is there a way to make this pump lift water out of my 2” well it appear there aren’t any shallow well hand pumps designed for anything other than 1.25 inch inlet.

I’m not looking to spend big money on the bison or simple pumps as we are deep in the green swamp central Florida where the water table is never far from surface.

Any other recommendations on how to flush my tainted well hopefully it’s not lodged in a layer of clay id hate to have another day of shoveling a giant pit big enough to re thread the busted pipe…

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Doesn't matter how deep the well is. What matters is the depth to water. Not going to lift more than 20' or so with a hand pump. Those bison type pumps have a windmill type sucker rod that pushes up from the bottom instead of sucking from the top, which is why they can go deeper.

HalfWayHank

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how deep the well is. What matters is the depth to water. Not going to lift more than 20' or so with a hand pump.
Thank you Valve my main inquiry is whether or not a pitcher hand pump connected to a 2” well point should be capable of drawing water. The 1-1/4 section is around 2ft connected to a reducer bell then the 2” pipe static water level should be close to ground

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks