Looking for advice on sizing...pipes for my well

Users who are viewing this thread

imscoop22

Reaction score
I have a well that is 400-450' deep with a 3/4 HP pump (from the early 1970's and still going strong). I had the pressure tank replaced about two years ago and now have a 32 gallon tank. The 1" pipe from the well goes into the pressure tank, is reduced to 3/4", then goes to a 10x2.5" whole house sediment filter and services the house. Our house is not very large but we use a lot of water. We have two full baths, a kitchen with a sink and dishwasher, washing machine, and one outside faucet. The single faucet outside is a pain as we have animals (ducks, chickens, and geese) and do a lot of gardening. We also have 7 people in the house, with an occasional foster child or two. We have also have a detached garage that I would like to run water to. This would add a third full bath and utility sink. I also want to add two additional outside faucets. I desperately need to install a water softener and want to use the opportunity to upgrade and expand all this. I have already purchased the softener and plan to install it myself. I am probably a slightly better than average DIY'er and am not too concerned with doing the work but have a question:

I plan to upgrade to a larger whole house sediment filter in all this. As it is, the 10x25" filter needs replaced about every 2-3 months. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to run 1" out of the pressure tank, into the new sediment filter, then reduce to 3/4'. My thought is that I would have two 3/4" lines off the sediment filter, one to the softener, the other to the outside faucets (so they wouldn't use softened water). I would probably run a 1/2" line to the garage off of the line used for the outside faucets. I don't really need or want softened water out there. Does this make sense? I don't want the sediment filter to be the cause of a drop in pressure, especially with what I plan to add. It seems that running 3/4" all the way through might create a bottleneck, especially if we were filling tanks for animals, doing laundry and dishes, and potentially had 3 showers going.

If anyone has a recommendation for a new sediment filter on Amazon, I would appreciate that, too. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
A 20x4 inch cartridge has about 6 times the capacity vs that of a 10x2.5. It is heavier when undoing the sump, so try to mount it where the access is easy enough.

imscoop22

Reaction score
Stay with the larger pipe as far as you can. There are lots of better and more deserving places to purchase filters or anything else you need.
Thank you. Could you recommend a filter? I can certainly look for a different source but I'd like to get one that is reputable.

imscoop22

Reaction score
A 20x4 inch cartridge has about 6 times the capacity vs that of a 10x2.5. It is heavier when undoing the sump, so try to mount it where the access is easy enough.
Thanks...yes, I've thought of that. My space is tight but I'll make it work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks