Dual Fuel Calculator (Trane)

Users who are viewing this thread

MooseMan

Reaction score
Picking up off a previous thread: System is a Trane: XC95M Furnace, XV20i Heat Pump, and XL1050 Control. I'm trying to understand how heat pump to propane cutover works.

-By default, Compressor Heat Lockout was disabled. At 20 degrees, it sounds like an airplane.
-In activating Compressor lockout I can manually set the cutover or automatically
-When choosing automatically calculated I entered $.126 (cost / kwh), and $3.2 / therm (rough conversion from propane to NG)

The "Auto" method spits back a 5 degree cutover, which I don't think it could ever keep up with. So I selected 25 degrees simply because it is quieter. Does this make sense? Any real-world guiding points here?

Fitter30

Reaction score
What sounds like a airplane? There's 3.41 btu's per watt resistance electric is 100% efficient
Electric 3412 btus kw
Lp 91,502 btus per gallon
Ng 100k therm
Have to cost by if there's delivery charge, taxes and efficiency
What manual are u looking at?

MooseMan

Reaction score
What sounds like a airplane? There's 3.41 btu's per watt resistance electric is 100% efficient
Electric 3412 btus kw
Lp 91,502 btus per gallon
Ng 100k therm
Have to cost by if there's delivery charge, taxes and efficiency
What manual are u looking at?
The air source heat pump. At lower temps, it spins harder to produce heat. So when dealing with a heat pump the BTU's / kw equation becomes less efficient as it gets colder out. At 22 degrees the heat pump is quite loud trying to move the volume of air needed to extract heat. I ended up saying screw it, and cutting it off at 30 degrees. Below 30, it shifts over to propane. I could push it down to 25, and in the right conditions I believe it would choose to operate at lower temperatures. But it was annoyingly loud.

Fitter30

Reaction score
The spec on sound 54 - 76 DbA unit won't be any quieter in the summer under full load. Supposed to be one of their quite units.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks