Use Threaded Tub Spout on Slip on Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

RLP2022

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my bathroom and the tub spout we want is a Moen diverter with IPS connection. The house currently uses slip on spouts throughout. Are there adapter kits that I can use or am I going to have to solder a threaded fitting on the pipe? TIA

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I'm upgrading my bathroom and the tub spout we want is a Moen diverter with IPS connection. The house currently uses slip on spouts throughout. Are there adapter kits that I can use or am I going to have to solder a threaded fitting on the pipe? TIA
I am not a plumber.

They sell these, but the reviews are not great.

What is in the wall. Is it a soldered 90 elbow, or a threaded drop ear. If it is the latter, you can unthread the price of copper pipe and replace it with an appropriately sized threaded nipple. You could make a custom length nipple using two male adapters and a length of copper pipe ... this would involve soldering, but there is much less pressure when working over workbench ;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use a threaded spout on copper sometimes, depending on how far from the wall the threads need to be. Sometimes a single copper male adapter that the spout can thread onto.

tub-spout-solder-extension.jpg

RLP2022

Reaction score
You can use a threaded spout on copper sometimes, depending on how far from the wall the threads need to be. Sometimes a single copper male adapter that the spout can thread onto.

tub-spout-solder-extension.jpg
Thanks for the photo, that helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks