Looking for recommendations for a thermostatic shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

ItzRav

Reaction score
My wife and I will be moving to an independent living townhome, which will be renovated before we move in, and we have the opportunity to have additional custom upgrades done (at our cost). I told them we wanted a thermostatic valve installed in the shower (so there would be two controls, one to set temperature which the valve would maintain, the other to control the volume). They have asked us to send them “specifications” for the valve we want. I’ve looked at some online, but we’re not sure what to get. I don’t think we need a digitally controlled one. We do want to be able to have the water either come out of the main shower head or divert to a hand-held. What features do people here consider essential in this type of valve, and we’d appreciate any specific recommendations. We are willing to spend up to a few hundred dollars. Thanks.

PS: One valve we’re looking at is the Grohe Grohetherm Dual Function 2-Handle Thermostatic Valve, model 24133000. You can see it at https://www.grohe.us/Thermostatic-V...Thermostatic-Valve-Trim/GROHE-CHROME-24133000 . Any thoughts on that particular one?

grohtherm-24133000.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The Grohe is ok. Used to be a real fan. I am not enamored with the push-on face plates, and they now have a lot of plastic handles. Grohe no longer has reps so you are left dealing with the 800 number if there are ever problems.
Hansgrohe makes similar and I like a bit more because of machining excellence.

CaliGirlSF

Decorative Plumbing expert
Reaction score
I second that comment...Hansgrohe has a better option. Take a look at the 15758001-dual function therm. Grohe is not the easiest to deal with these days.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
The Grohe is ok. Used to be a real fan. I am not enamored with the push-on face plates, and they now have a lot of plastic handles. Grohe no longer has reps so you are left dealing with the 800 number if there are ever problems.

What is your opinion of the Symmons Temptrol? I have two that are 30 years and I'm going to be remodeling next year. Even though both are in perfect order, I'm going to replace them due to age as long as the walls are open. Thanks.

John

ItzRav

Reaction score
Thank you. Please see my response to CaliGirlSF (in a few minutes).

ItzRav

Reaction score
I second that comment...Hansgrohe has a better option. Take a look at the 15758001-dual function therm. Grohe is not the easiest to deal with these days.
Thanks to you and breplum. In checking reviews for the Hansgrohe thermostatic valves, some people mention that the Hansgrohe also now uses plastic, at least for the cover plate. I also found two versions of the round dual-function two-knob valve trims: One is the 15758001 you mentioned above, the other is 04231000. The latter is an older model. The only difference listed under specs is the 15758001 has a 6 GPM flow rate while the 04231000 is 7 GPM. There are many more reviews for the 04231000 at Amazon. The 04231000 lists for more on the hansgrohe website but less at Amazon. You can see both at www.hansgrohe-usa.com . Do either of you have any thoughts on which one would be better, in terms of quality or anything else? Thanks so much for your help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have installed quite a few i-Box Hansgrohe valves. I have not used on yet. You have lot's of options with them, even the ability to run 3/4" for them, though most of the time I only had 1/2" in the wall anyway.

puravida-15771001-install-01.jpg

puravida-15771001-install-04.jpg

puravida-1577xx1-parts-01.jpg

CaliGirlSF

Decorative Plumbing expert
Reaction score
Thanks to you and breplum. In checking reviews for the Hansgrohe thermostatic valves, some people mention that the Hansgrohe also now uses plastic, at least for the cover plate. I also found two versions of the round dual-function two-knob valve trims: One is the 15758001 you mentioned above, the other is 04231000. The latter is an older model. The only difference listed under specs is the 15758001 has a 6 GPM flow rate while the 04231000 is 7 GPM. There are many more reviews for the 04231000 at Amazon. The 04231000 lists for more on the hansgrohe website but less at Amazon. You can see both at www.hansgrohe-usa.com . Do either of you have any thoughts on which one would be better, in terms of quality or anything else? Thanks so much for your help.
Either one is good..just an older design compared to new. They both use same valve and cartridge, can't see why they would have different flow rates. In the end, 6 or 7, either is fine. Showerhead/handheld would be restricted to lower flow anyway.

Anzipants

Reaction score
Hands down I would go for the Therm-Oz. They are excellent quality, they meet Australian watermark which is strict and they work perfectly. Easy to install on existing systems too. I've had a good browse through their site and there are lots of before and afters showing different arrangements including hand held shower heads which helps you imagine if it can work for you. This is their website: thermoz.com.au

square basic thermOz 1080.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks